Gillette Old Style - revelation!

I've had a nice little Gillette Old Style razor for a few months now - picked it up on ebay for a reasonable price, but having heard about its reputation for being aggressive, it has stayed in its box - untill today.

I took the decision that there's no point having the thing unless I'm going to give it a try - and I'm glad I did.

I loaded it up with a Nacet Platinum, and whipped up a good lather of Valobra using my new Vie-Long customised 13061, and took the plunge...

Result?

No fuss, no drama, no nicks, blood, and not even any irritation. Just a smooth, easy shave from a delightfully balanced razor. Even spalshing on some 4711 aftershave didn't show up any issues. I have to say I'm impressed - I'd always believed the Old Style was somewhat fearsome with modern blades, but it works for me.

Into the rotation it goes... :icon_razz:

I always imagined it would be very aggressive, bring designed for thicker, less sharp blades. I have a clone old and that's pretty aggressive but no idea if it is really comparable. It's something I'd like to get one day. Glad you got on so well with it. Christmas soon so may treat myself

Unlike the 1904's I've used, these seem to be particular about the blades that they like or don't like. The last blade I used with mine was a Perma Sharp and it was ruff. hate it when you have to remember the likes and dislikes of inanimate objects!!

I've got two Old types and both are great for close shave with minimal effort. I also have a clone, which I used once and ended up with weepers galore...

After reading this today, I said 'self let's give it another try today.' Took out the OLD and a new Gillette Goal. And..... My new muhle 41R gives a kinder, gentler shave! (I do really like the 41R).

What blades are you guys using?

Johnus said:
After reading this today, I said 'self let's give it another try today.' Took out the OLD and a new Gillette Goal. And..... My new muhle 41R gives a kinder, gentler shave! (I do really like the 41R).

What blades are you guys using?

Nacet Platinums in my case - because I had a pack open, and I find them to be sharp and smooth.

I like Astra SPs. I'm surprised you find the R41 gentler, I couldn't get on with it at all. The Old feels much more intuitive as far as finding the right angle.

Back
Top Bottom