Gillette Fatboy stuck dial

I bought a 1960 Fatboy off eBay which was absolutely filthy, I've given it a few soaks and removed some of the grime. I've just used washing up liquid (dish soap for our American friends) and an old tooth brush. I also did a short soak with Vanish (I think @Tony'schin did something similar with his Slim).

Even though the handle has cleaned up a bit the dial however is not turning in the slightest bit though, it seems to be stuck on the number 7 setting.

Does anyone have any recommendations of how best to sort it out? I've read a few places to soak it overnight, what products are safe to use for an overnight soak?

Soda bicarb and vinegar will froth up and clean out the exterior pretty well for getting into the inside that explosiveness might work out. I can't quite remember whether the Fat Boy has an open handle, but if it does maybe pack some bicarb in there and pour in the vinegar. Hold the end closed and see if you can get the frothing to some out elsewhere.

Other than that, an ultrasonic bath is probably your next best bet.

Thanks Paul I will give the soda & vinegar combination a go tomorrow. Lidl had ultrasonic cleaners in a few days ago, if they still have them tomorrow, I will pick one up!

Three piece razors don't have that problem. ;)

I've been enjoying this hobby for about 8 years now, and I only recently got around to getting a few adjustables.

I don't think I will be getting any more!

Yep, a COMPLETE teardown and prepare yourself to see some gross gunk!! :sick:

See Youtube vids.

This is above my pay grade tbh! I will try it in an ultrasonic cleaner, but if that doesn't work I will sell it to someone who has a better idea for what to do.

Hi shubs,
Never underestimate the good old soak in WD40 and gentle persuasion. As Oasis said
"Little by little"
Spray into dial crevices, wait a few hours try it, spray wait a few hours try it again and so on.
just ease it free over a few hours, days. It will move.
T

I have soaked Fatboys and used sonic cleaners till the paint came off!! Still, upon a complete teardown there were hairs and soap gunked up!! You can soak it until Britain rules the waves again and you will not get all the crap out until you tear it down and mechanically remove it with brush & rag. They are not that hard to tear down and Youtube has videos that even a monkey could follow.

Soda bicarb and vinegar will froth up and clean out the exterior pretty well for getting into the inside that explosiveness might work out. I can't quite remember whether the Fat Boy has an open handle, but if it does maybe pack some bicarb in there and pour in the vinegar. Hold the end closed and see if you can get the frothing to some out elsewhere.

Other than that, an ultrasonic bath is probably your next best bet.

I tried cleaning it in an ultrasonic bath and no luck; the dial is still stuck!

Clearly this is above my pay grade, so I will list it for sale.

I tried cleaning it in an ultrasonic bath and no luck; the dial is still stuck!

Clearly this is above my pay grade, so I will list it for sale.

If it is your only Fatboy, consider sending it off to JJShaves...you'll get back a razor that works as it should with gaps and tolerance back to factory spec, for a reasonable cost. Even if you find one that looks great and works, after this amount of time it will have been bashed and knocked out of whack. No matter how long they have been soaked, boiled or stuck in an ultrasonic bath, the shite that comes out from the inside of them when they are stripped down, would scunner, even the most hardy.

If it is your only Fatboy, consider sending it off to JJShaves...you'll get back a razor that works as it should with gaps and tolerance back to factory spec, for a reasonable cost. Even if you find one that looks great and works, after this amount of time it will have been bashed and knocked out of whack. No matter how long they have been soaked, boiled or stuck in an ultrasonic bath, the shite that comes out from the inside of them when they are stripped down, would scunner, even the most hardy.

JJ Shaves no longer works on safety razors, only straights AFAIK.

JJ Shaves no longer works on safety razors, only straights AFAIK.
...thats a shame...it has been a while since I sent off a razor to him, maybe worth giving hime a shout?

Can't locate the pictures of my Fatboy's but below is a picture of a tear-down of my Slim by NorthShore, a good while ago now, and the final result afterwards. The design of both the Slim and the Fatboy results in soap, whiskers and I guess dead skin getting compacted inside. Of course our own dirt is always clean, so I am less worried what builds up inside now :cool:

Image.jpegImage 1.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom