Gillette "Debutante"

Finally got the razor I got off ebay (see my thread complaining about Royal Mail). I don't know how much these go for at the moment, or how common they are (haven't seen many about) but I only paid a shade under £15 delivered and while not mint it is in excellent condition (in fact probably best of all the vintage I have).

Off the top of my head the blade is 1964 so not original - Mr Mr Razor has one mention of Debutante - an open comb, unlike mine, with the years 1921-28. Upon first sight I guessed late 1930/early 1940s based on a similar cased I have.

Looks like a sort of Old to me (it has the two prongs and an old-type blade with it, but could be a New Improved). I believe it is a ladies razor but fine by me. I've never used an Old and have always wanted to so I'm really quite excited! Can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning! (not with the blades that came with it).

If anyone has any more info on this razor (couldn't find a lot online) please let me know!

Pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/114359518161826006500/GilletteDebutante?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOjZjMfilILqvgE&feat=directlink

Gillette Debutante

The gold OC , very nice, has the same head as the 1920/21 new improved razor. Different handle..
If it's the 1940's gold it's the same head as the milord with a different handle. Also a nice razor.
The original 1920's cases cool too.

RE: Gillette Debutante

I can't use it.
When I got it out of the box yesterday I screwed it together fine without a blade but this morning I put a blade in and the head won't screw into the handle! It jut turns several times very loosely then clicks into place not very securely; then it comes undone again with only the slightest turn.
It will screw together ok with a blade in if I leave the baseplate out and just use the head and handle! I tried fitting an old-style blade in and same problem.

Looking at it again more closely, the baseplate looks like it might be from a different set as it's more square-edged and shiny. The head also says "Velvet" rather than Gillette or a familiar logo.
Have I bought a mix and match load of old rubbish? See the pics for what I mean.

Gillette Debutante SHOULD NOW BE IN SHAVING HELP AS I NEED HELP!!!

What a let down! I hate when you wait for something for weeks and it bums out on you. The wanting should never be more than the having.
Time to message the seller and work out a return.
Sorry

Ps. Just read the 'new pass around' '33 Gillette OC. You might want to try that one. Head may be similar.

RE: Gillette Debutante SHOULD NOW BE IN SHAVING HELP AS I NEED HELP!!!

Thanks. This was more about owning a very old but very good condition razor. I don't know if I can get a refund - already left positive feedback yesterday for the seller as it seemed in good condition and slotted together fine without the blade.

Perhaps I'll get one of my own replated.

Does anyone else think my razor is a mix of random bits which won't fit together, or am I doing something wrong?

Gillette Debutante SHOULD NOW BE IN SHAVING HELP AS I NEED HELP!!!

I'd still try the return idea , a lot of times they know that what they were selling was in error and just wait to get called on it.
Nothing to loss at this point

I was just about to email the seller. I'd been looking at pics on the Mr Razor site of how it should look: an open comb head. I'm quite attached to the box for some reason. Then I thought, my girlfriend has an open comb new - wonder if some of the parts will fit. Sure enough the handle fitted into her New head. She didn't want to swap though, and that was before her razor's head was tried on mine and had the same issue as above.
Then I thought "I've got a copy of an Old, I'm not precious about it (a no-name), maybe try that."
Took the "Velvet" head off the "Debutante" and put it on the Old copy with a blade in. It works! Put the head off the Old copy on the "Debutante" with a blade in and... result! So now I have two working razors rather than one!
Ok, so I don't have a Debutante, but I have a nice box and a good looking razor that fits in its box, and the donor Old copy can still be used too.
So very happy now!

Back
Top Bottom