Gillette Adjustable H4?

Having done a cursory search of your great forum, I think I have found a 1962 Gillette Adjustable (Slim?) H4 lurking in an old box returned to me by my parents.

I have vague recollections of practise shaves with this as a teen.

I'm curious as to whether it has any value today or whether I should actually have a go shaving with it? I normally wet shave but dont want to risk damaging it (or me) if it is collectable.

If appears to be in the original box (stamped 'Made in Switzerland') and still has at least 3 unused blades in the box, (and one used one in the back of the box).

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks

AC9E4984-orig.jpg

wheely73 said:
Having done a cursory search of your great forum, I think I have found a 1962 Gillette Adjustable (Slim?) H4 lurking in an old box returned to me by my parents.

I'm curious as to whether it has any value today or whether I should actually have a go shaving with it? I normally wet shave but dont want to risk damaging it (or me) if it is collectable.
Any info much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there,

What you have there is one of the favorite Gillette adjustables out there. Nicknamed the 'Slim', it's tied with the Fatboy model for popularity.

Unless the razor's in mint condition, I'd definitely give it a spin. Yeah, they're not especially rare, so don't worry about ruining something of extreme value. Maybe start the thing on #3 setting and see where that goes.

What's very unusual is that case......never seen another one like it. Gotta be the nicest looking one by far. The value for that combo would be more than the regular going price to a collector. Heh, still, it's probably not gonna be enough to make it worth parting with. I'd certainly hang onto it anyway.

So good news.....you can actually shave without guilt! Make sure you tighten the handle that last 1/4 turn to lock the blade in place on the head. Oh yeah, there's a very good chance those blades are gonna be fine. I'd certainly load one up for a test spin and see what happens.

Congrats on the new addition to your shaving arsenal,

Martin

orig.jpg[/IMG]

That is a very nice find indeed.

Typically, an unboxed slim in "shaver grade" condition can be found on ebay (for example) for anything from around £15-£20 upwards - but that's without a case, nevermind a box as nice and unusual as the one you have.

A quick search of completed listings on ebay pulls up slims in the more common plastic cases having sold for around £35. So, considering how different your case is, if your razor is in good condition, I can imagine your set selling for a price heading towards £50 - who knows - maybe more - especially if it is in pristine/mint condition.

Whether you consider that valuable and/or a reason not to take it for a spin is entirely personal.

As dodgy says, the razors themselves are not particularly hard to come by, but that box on the other hand is most unusual.

Thanks gents.

Always remember the box as a kid and thinking it looked really special but father never used it. It is in pretty much mint condition and never looks like it has been used.

Might have to have a trial run with it at the weekend and see how it compares to a Mach 3!

Very nice, price estimates seem about right, upper side of 50 quid I'd say.
I also agree on keeping it, it's a lovely piece of kit, and an interesting item.
If I can suggest, don't use the blades that are in the box for 2 reasons.
  • they're old, and are probably not that good anymore.
  • In case of resale, the complete set is worth more with the original blades and instructions.

Max

Ditto ! You have something that will last you another 50 yrs. Use in good health. I'd buy a new pack of blades. Keep the old as a remembrance.

wheely73 said:
Might have to have a trial run with it at the weekend and see how it compares to a Mach 3!

I don't know if you've used a DE razor before, if not then be aware that DEs are quite different to use when compared with modern cartridge razors. The technique probably won't come straight away, it takes patience and practice. As such, a single, one off shave with this razor may well not yield results as good as those you currently have with you Mach3.

Have a look at mantic59 on YouTube - he has some great tutorial videos there which are well worth watching.

Enjoy!

Thanks gents. Checked out the first 3 vids on shaving. never knew there wax do much to it!

May have 2 invest in a mug and a brush and give it a go properly.

Any recommendations on blades gratefully accepted

Thanks

Re: RE: Gillette Adjustable H4?

wheely73 said:
Any recommendations on blades gratefully accepted

Gillette Greens or Yellows are a good starting point.

PM me your address and I'll get a couple in the post to you.

You've really got to give that Slim a go ! Keep the box & blades as safe and pristine as you desire, however you owe it to yourself to give her a couple of runs. Go on ............. you just know it'd be impolite not to.

JohnnyO. \:angel:

Fellow member 'Slick' was kind enough to send me some sample blades somi could give it a go.

A revelation. Saved up a good beard, worked up a good lather and treated myself to my first double edged shave.

Opted for the Gillette 7o'clock yellows.

Experimented with settings and settled on no 4.

First attempt was ok, second attempt much better. As smooth, if not smoother than my Mach 3.

Now just need to invest in a good brush and a shaving mug!

Thanks for all the advice gents

Back
Top Bottom