Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge Yellows

Father Ted said:
I like the yellows and have about 200 of them. I have nearly 800 Bleue Extras to get through

Interesting that you like the Yellows and the Bleue Extras. I tried the Bleues (from rareup on ebay) before the Yellows and didn't get along with them at all.

PeterFranks said:
Father Ted said:
I like the yellows and have about 200 of them. I have nearly 800 Bleue Extras to get through

Interesting that you like the Yellows and the Bleue Extras. I tried the Bleues (from rareup on ebay) before the Yellows and didn't get along with them at all.
I suppose Im fortunate in that there are only two blades that I really have not got on with - Merkurs and Supermnax Brown (and even then its only on shave 2 with the Supermax's)
There are blades that I dont rate ( the Gillette 7 O'clock Greens being one of them) but if I can get a couple of good shaves from them, they are staying in my stash for now.

Only shaved with them once so far (yesterday) but I got a very smooth shave and if it hadn't been for the damage caused by a feather (2nd shave with the blade) the day before, would have been almost nik free! :D

Quick observation while you are all here.... flipping the blade over after a shave appears to offer no real benefit in terms of increasing the life of the blade IMHO, yet the blades are numbered - 1 and 2 on one side, 3 and 4 on the other? I guess if they last for 4 shaves then I can see the logic but many here ditch them after 2-3 shaves. Probably just me.... :? :D

Many types of blades have their edges numbered 1-4, as Vinny rightly says it identifies which honing machine did which side of the blade, makes adjustments easier to track.

On the subject of these blades, I've worked out that I don't like to push them to 3 shaves, it's decidedly iffy on day three.

From what I'm seeing on this thread it seems I'm alone in finding them smooth from day one. For me they're great performers on days 1 and 2 but they're tailing off by the third shave. Might just be my horrible bluebeard.

CanucksTraveller said:
Many types of blades have their edges numbered 1-4, as Vinny rightly says it identifies which honing machine did which side of the blade, makes adjustments easier to track.

On the subject of these blades, I've worked out that I don't like to push them to 3 shaves, it's decidedly iffy on day three.

From what I'm seeing on this thread it seems I'm alone in finding them smooth from day one. For me they're great performers on days 1 and 2 but they're tailing off by the third shave. Might just be my horrible bluebeard.
Maybe you need to get some Bluebeard's Revenge? :)

I manage no more 3 shaves with them, but then I rarely get beyond 3 shaves with any blade. Only ones I can think of that can last beyond 4 shaves for me are Timors and Bolsanos (also very sharp, smooth, expensive blades).

Oddly enough, I used one tonight and had a fantastic shave with it…

I'd tried one back when I first started shaving (as part of my blade sampler from Connaught) and I wasn't very impressed – I found the shave a bit rough, tbh.

Mebbe my technique has improved, or mebbe MWF covers a multitude of sins. :lol:

Lipsy

Back
Top Bottom