Gillette 40s Superspeed - First Shave

Hi All,

I had my first shave with my new (new to me) Gillette 40s Superspeed. Impressed? VERY.

I had used a Merkur Super blade on the Boots DE for one shave, so I decided to make sure I gave the SS a fair test that I will use the same blade (not a new one, or a different brand). I also left it a day inbetween shaving so I had a little more stubble for the shave (I often get rashes if I shave days in a row).

The weight of it felt great, the handle is a little shorter than the Boots DE which I thought would cause problems... but it didn't.

I was unsure whether to tighten the the mechanism right up, or leave it lose (when it is tight the blade bends round the grip slightly). I tried both, and it definitely 'sounded' and 'felt' much better when the grip was tight. I also didn't feel any 'shake' from the little twist mechanism on the handle when shaking the blade in the water.

I didn't try anything new, or fancy with the SS. I just proceeded to shave like I normally would. As soon as I fonud the right angle for the blade to rest on my face, the SS done the rest. The weight of it just pulled my hand down my face. I didn't feel myself tugging, or pulling and there is a definite improvement in sound. It may seem silly, but the Boots DE didn't sound like it was slicing those hairs all of the time, but the SS definitely sounded like a crystal clean shave.

I only done one pass on most parts of my face, a couple of touch ups here and there. And I was impressed with the result. It felt very smooth. Because I only done one pass, there looked to be some very faint stubble there, but nothing major and I saved irritation because I didn't need extra passes (this is something I need to work on to get that very clean shaven look).

The best part of the shave was when I reached my chin. The Boots DE tended to stop on the curve of my chin, I'd need to apply some extra pressure or 'hack' at it (that term sounds a lot worse than I was actually doing). The SS glided down my chin with no effort at all. (I know it wasn't the blade because it was the same one I had used in my previous shave in the Boots DE).

I'm still struggling not to cause irritation around my adams apple area and the sides of my neck could do with getting a closer shave, but again - this is something I haven't put much thought or practice into.

Thanks to FenchBlade for supplying the SS. Although I may upgrade and get something more 'bling' in the future, I can see this razor being apart of my collection forever. I'm still amazed to think it is approximately 60 years old and looks/feels/works like it does.

Very pleased!! :shave

To any newbie thinking of getting a DE, you definitely want one of these. No harm in starting with the cheap Boots DE to see if you like the concept of single blade shaving... but the quicker you get to the SS the better :)

Good for you. I shaved today with mine after it spent a long time in the drawer under the bed - not feeling the love.

They are indeed a rock solid performer and for me quite underrated as people dash about with their fancy la-di-dah aristocrats and suchlike.

The question is though, is it better than the balance, shave and tactility of a Flair Tip?*

*No. I have shaved with nothing better than a FT - in my opinion of course. :|

moodymick - as you can imagine, I've gone from a £3 Boots DE Razor to the Gillette SS... I was blown away by the difference.

I am very open to the fact that upon my next upgrade, I am likely to have very similar feelings between the SS and 'The New One' - whatever that may be :)

For the time being though, I finally feel like I've got a decent bit of kit. I'm happy with the blades I have been trying, happy with the BS Macca Root Cream, and very pelased with the SS. All I need now is a new brush and I'll feel like I'm giving myself an even better shave.

Approximately 60 yrs old & looks good whilst performing well you say ? I'm way older than your razor & all that still applies !!!

YAY @ ME !

JohnnyO. \ :lol: /

moodymick said:
The question is though, is it better than the balance, shave and tactility of a Flair Tip? ... No. I have shaved with nothing better than a FT - in my opinion of course. :|
I'm the other way around - in terms of the basic design I consider the 40s version to be literally perfect. Though the Aristocrat Junior shaves that bit better for me on account of the extra bite and weight, whilst looking virtually the same.

moodymick said:
Good for you. I shaved today with mine after it spent a long time in the drawer under the bed - not feeling the love.

They are indeed a rock solid performer and for me quite underrated as people dash about with their fancy la-di-dah aristocrats and suchlike.

The question is though, is it better than the balance, shave and tactility of a Flair Tip?*

*No. I have shaved with nothing better than a FT - in my opinion of course. :|

I'm with you on this one Mick, I have yet to find a better razor than my Red Flair Tip Rocket. The balance, aggressiveness and feel of the razor make it my favourite razor........... ;) ;) and it looks good as well.... :eek: :lol:

Amnesia180 said:
moodymick - as you can imagine, I've gone from a £3 Boots DE Razor to the Gillette SS... I was blown away by the difference.

I am very open to the fact that upon my next upgrade, I am likely to have very similar feelings between the SS and 'The New One' - whatever that may be :)

For the time being though, I finally feel like I've got a decent bit of kit. I'm happy with the blades I have been trying, happy with the BS Macca Root Cream, and very pelased with the SS. All I need now is a new brush and I'll feel like I'm giving myself an even better shave.

Good deal,

Sounds like you're developing a good reference point for what razor fits you and what's not so hot. Yeah, it's pretty interesting how not all of em shave the same.

Not to enable you, but you might like to try and find your go to razor soon. Maybe spend some time with the superspeed and get a good feel for that one, and then on to something else for comparison. Yeah, you're right about the next one you sample being different from the first couple. It's trial and error but it's not a bad journey and totally worth the effort.

Congrats on your progress so far,

Martin

I had been shaving a little while and dodgy supplied me with a similar piece and one holiday in Wales that's all I took. That sealed it for me. I have two now!! Get yourself a tech too.
I spent a while trying other stuff getting my technique down and went back to the tech after a layoff and what a great shave that was.
Nice one
Tim.

Slick said:
I had been shaving a little while and dodgy supplied me with a similar piece and one holiday in Wales that's all I took. That sealed it for me. I have two now!! Get yourself a tech too.
I spent a while trying other stuff getting my technique down and went back to the tech after a layoff and what a great shave that was.
Nice one
Tim.

What's goin on Slimbo,

To avoid any reader confusion about the first part of your post, I wanna just say the Holiday in Wales trip was Dutch Treat and separate rooms. Don't want Mrs Slikki jumping to any obvious, but wrong in this case, conclusions. Poor woman has enough to put up with, dealing with a very cheeky mongoose such as yourself.

Yeah, you're right about the OP trying a Tech of some kind. Took me three years before getting around to finally sampling one, and I felt dumb for waiting so damn long. Yeah, I'd bet that'll feel different to the new guy.

Course so would a nicely made and good looking US made Aristocrat, or possibly a charming Gillette adjustable of some kind. Those are all popular for a reason. Maybe down the road a bit sample an open comb type as well. I also gotta mention that latest EJ head in a variety of handle styles being another extremely popular option to test drive.

Yeah, it's a good time to be involved in this goofy 'hobby'

Monty

So Slikki, you have TWO razors of the same kind? Now where would you get a goofy idea like that I wonder. Seems a bit odd if you ask me.

dodgy said:
Slick said:
Nice one
Tim.

What's goin on Slimbo,

To avoid any reader confusion about the first part of your post, I wanna just say the Holiday in Wales trip was Dutch Treat and separate rooms. Don't want Mrs Slikki jumping to any obvious, but wrong in this case, conclusions. Poor woman has enough to put up with, dealing with a very cheeky mongoose such as yourself.

Yeah, you're right about the OP trying a Tech of some kind. Took me three years before getting around to finally sampling one, and I felt dumb for waiting so damn long. Yeah, I'd bet that'll feel different to the new guy.

Course so would a nicely made and good looking US made Aristocrat, or possibly a charming Gillette adjustable of some kind. Those are all popular for a reason. Maybe down the road a bit sample an open comb type as well. I also gotta mention that latest EJ head in a variety of handle styles being another extremely popular option to test drive.

Yeah, it's a good time to be involved in this goofy 'hobby'

Monty

So Slikki, you have TWO razors of the same kind? Now where would you get a goofy idea like that I wonder. Seems a bit odd if you ask me.

Only 2 razors of the same type........... :shock: :shock: :shock: You have long way to go young man....... :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

I am certainly going to trial other razors, if I don't like them - I'll just send them on. I never thought shaving could be so fun, all the cheap disposable razors I've use in the past, and the obvious Gillette 5 blade things have all felt the same.

But the whole process from washing the face, through to lathering up, and then actually hearing the "bite" when the blades cut through the hair is amazing... It sounds sad, but I really do enjoy shaving now. And because my face doesn't look as bad (less rash, minimal irritation) I feel like I'm accomplishing everything each time I have a shave.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me through this process with amazing advice and very kindly passed on blades etc.

Of course, reading through the types of razors to try, such as FT and Techs has just confused me haha.. I'll research it nearer the time. But on top of that, I've read certain blades feel like they perform better in certain razors.... Ahhh, so much to learn!

Thanks again, you're all gents! :shave :D

Amnesia180 said:

I am certainly going to trial other razors, if I don't like them - I'll just send them on. I never thought shaving could be so fun, all the cheap disposable razors I've use in the past, and the obvious Gillette 5 blade things have all felt the same.

Of course, reading through the types of razors to try, such as FT and Techs has just confused me haha.. I'll research it nearer the time. But on top of that, I've read certain blades feel like they perform better in certain razors.... Ahhh, so much to learn!

Yeah, there's definitely a few things to try along the way to finding the perfect combo(s). The main thing is that now you have some sorta reference point to compare things to, which makes forming an opinion much more accurate. Try something new only when you feel like it....no hurry.

Martin

Oh yeah, I've heard that story about some blades performing better in certain razors. Now THAT really is a deep rabbit hole.........heh. Good luck with that.

Amnesia180 said:

But the whole process from washing the face, through to lathering up, and then actually hearing the "bite" when the blades cut through the hair is amazing... It sounds sad, but I really do enjoy shaving now. And because my face doesn't look as bad (less rash, minimal irritation) I feel like I'm accomplishing everything each time I have a shave.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me through this process with amazing advice and very kindly passed on blades etc.

Thanks again, you're all gents! :shave :D

Hi, when you get to the stage you want to try out a Tech PM me and you can have a loan of one of mine for a couple of weeks to see if it suits you..............then I am sure Max will be only too willing to sort you out with a good one of your own......... :p :p :lol: :lol: I should add that Max is a great person to deal with and I am sure he can source you the right razor at a good price.
Steve

Back
Top Bottom