Getting Onboard The SynthTrain...

Gentlemen
Well, I find I'm really enjoying my new synthetic brushes. The latest is from Top of the Chain here in Canada.
It's an AP Shave Co brush that's exclusive to TOTC. More expensive than my other synths but I really like the handle and colour. 24mm G5B knot and bowl/mug lathers like a champ with creme soaps. Will try with hard soaps in a day or two. Very comfortable and you can get 3 passes of lather if you need that. I've got another brush coming from AP but that's gonna be a gift. Great brush and two excellent companies with terrific service.
Cheers
IMG_2649.jpgIMG_2650.jpeg

Looks good
and the fact you enjoy using it is all that matters.
At the moment i’m pretty much done with synthetic
i hope i change my mind,
But Boar & Badger all the way for me.
I might throw in the odd synthetic now & again

Like the handle a lot! And I'm sure that's a great knot, heard lots of good things about APSC and the G5B. I have boar, badger and synthetic and I like them all. The naturals give me a nice feeling but I have to say synthetic is so easy and low maintenance, and a great choice when faced with a soap that's being less than cooperative.

If it's anything to go by, I'm speccing a 24mm synthetic for my Highlander Forum Ltd Edition. Enjoy using that bad boy.

Ya know, I've been doing the wet shaving thing for a long time...I'm old. And I've had and made a fairly large number of badger hair brushes. But lately, I have found the harvesters of badger hair have been, shall we say, less than sympathetic to the animals plight and situation. Because of this , I have transferred my shaving brush req's to boar and synthetics. I know...boar? They are sacrificed for things like shaving brushes. Well, in Saskatchewan...they are now labelled a nuisance species...which means you can shoot them at anytime you see one. Good call. A truly ugly species...they are a huge problem which is expanding every year. Texas is up to their eyeballs in feral pigs...smart, hard to track and very adaptable. Please always buy boar bristle brushes as well as synthetics....a true environmental decision.

Yes, this is why I only really have one badger brush, my Simpson which I bought in the BST on here. Had to have one, but now that I know they just kill em and skin em, I kinda decided I could make do with just the one. I still use and enjoy it but likewise I have a load of boars, 4 in rotation and a load in the cabinet that I haven't used. Maybe in the early days of synthetic they weren't so great but they seem to be very good now and regardless of ethics, which each may decide for themselves, a synth is a solid choice.

Bringing this thread back to synths. I recently got my second synth as a trade on here. My first was cheap and OK. It lathered soaps where my soft badgers struggles. The latest brings the enjoyment back. All I want now is a flat, or fan top synth.
The first synth brush I bought was disappointing, though it was some cheap rubbish from Amazon so serves me right! Then was recommended Yaqi synths and it was a real revelation - great performance every time, with really nice handles and a pleasure to use. And at very reasonable prices. I know there are better synths that Yaqi around of course and look forward to checking some of them out.

Back
Top Bottom