Get me off Derby

When I started out I bought a sample pack from Connaught and like most new starters I cut my face to shreds with all of them. For what ever reason I went with Derby as my blade of choice and have shaved with them ever since. Recently converted a friend to shaving like a man and he too wants blades. I have offered to split the cost with him and give him a couple of packs of Derby's. Dont really want another sample pack.

Question: What would be reccomended next? Is there a daddy of blades?

SIRUSKEY said:
Question: What would be reccomended next? Is there a daddy of blades?

Dunno if there is one "Daddy" of blades, I suspect what fits one face won't fit another nearly so well.

I am having a great time with Gillette Super Thins at the moment, so I would recommend trying them. This is the second time I have tried them - I got some in a pif a few months back and couldn't get to grips with them. Now I am getting consistent great shaves. Just shows you shouldn't write off a blade you have tried in your sample pack but not liked - just put them on hold til a few months have gone by.

If you haven't already tried the Super Thins, give them a go. I'll happily pif you a couple to try if you like.

RB73 said:
Recommend over the Derby's ??

Derby's will always be part of my shaving as I just seem to get on with them but I have shaved with only Derby blades for well over a year. I have a few left and need to restock. I want to get something different just by way of a change.

Red Personnas strike a good balance for sharpness, smoothness and economy. I'm a bit hard pressed to recommend anything else wholeheartedly, but the 7 o'clock yellows are good blades - it would be nice if they were finished a bit smoother though. Feathers are a must try because they are different in terms of perceived sharpness - harsh as hell in the long term if you ask me though.

PM me your address and I'll send you a few to try, including one or two discontinued ones which really might be contenders for Daddy status.

Arrowhead said:
Red Personnas strike a good balance for sharpness, smoothness and economy. I'm a bit hard pressed to recommend anything else wholeheartedly, but the 7 o'clock yellows are good blades - it would be nice if they were finished a bit smoother though. Feathers are a must try because they are different in terms of perceived sharpness - harsh as hell in the long term if you ask me though.

PM me your address and I'll send you a few to try, including one or two discontinued ones which really might be contenders for Daddy status.

Thats so good of you :blush:

Cheers
Craig

Daddies are in the eye of the beholder but several keep getting repeat compliments. Of those my own favourites are Gillette superthin, 7 o'clock yellow, and 7 o'clock green super stainless. Sharks seem popular but aren't my cup of tea.

Send me an address and I'll send you some 7 o'clocks of both flavour and some Sharks. Unless Arrowhead has any of those covered?

Canuck said:
Daddies are in the eye of the beholder but several keep getting repeat compliments. Of those my own favourites are Gillette superthin, 7 o'clock yellow, and 7 o'clock green super stainless. Sharks seem popular but aren't my cup of tea.

Send me an address and I'll send you some 7 o'clocks of both flavour and some Sharks. Unless Arrowhead has any of those covered?

Good man. Thanks
Craig

Gingerpose said:
Craig, pm me your address and I'll sort you out with a couple of Super Thins to try. Best make it quick cos we're away for a few days soon.

Ainslie

You have a pm. Thanks again

What have you been sent so far (or been told)? Might be able to send over some Astras (green and blue) and possibly some Perma Sharp and zorriks as pack of 5 for each.

Might also be able to stick some loose ones in like Rapira etc, not really looked at whats in the box.

Got loads of Shark SS but looks like you are ok there.

Drop me a PM as well with addy and will sort something early next week to send.

jon_hall said:
What have you been sent so far (or been told)? Might be able to send over some Astras (green and blue) and possibly some Perma Sharp and zorriks as pack of 5 for each.

Might also be able to stick some loose ones in like Rapira etc, not really looked at whats in the box.

Got loads of Shark SS but looks like you are ok there.

Drop me a PM as well with addy and will sort something early next week to send.

You have a PM.

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom