Gem SS PTFE

A number of years ago there was a rumour that production was finishing and a lot of stocking up was done
Sad Homer Simpson GIF

Ok so I've heard back from both tedpella and Agar Scientific. So tedpella stated that agar are their official distributor in the UK, I know that isn't new news, but essentially means that tedpella likely won't ship direct to UK customers.

Agar do sell something that looks to be the same product, though it is under a different product code and they use slightly different descriptions (agar: AGT5332, pella: 121-3). Agar didn't categorically state it is the same product, though a representative from tedpella indicated that based on the specs they are one and the same.

Long story short I'll wait another couple of weeks for connaughts, failing that I'll take a punt and put an order in. They're more expensive than connaughts (almost double), so connaughts would still be the go to, but if they turn out to be the same gear at least there is the possibility of another supply source in a pinch. Worst case I've got a ton of scrapers that'll last me a lifetime.

Ok so I've heard back from both tedpella and Agar Scientific. So tedpella stated that agar are their official distributor in the UK, I know that isn't new news, but essentially means that tedpella likely won't ship direct to UK customers.

Agar do sell something that looks to be the same product, though it is under a different product code and they use slightly different descriptions (agar: AGT5332, pella: 121-3). Agar didn't categorically state it is the same product, though a representative from tedpella indicated that based on the specs they are one and the same.

Long story short I'll wait another couple of weeks for connaughts, failing that I'll take a punt and put an order in. They're more expensive than connaughts (almost double), so connaughts would still be the go to, but if they turn out to be the same gear at least there is the possibility of another supply source in a pinch. Worst case I've got a ton of scrapers that'll last me a lifetime.
Looked at that site you mentioned, coming in at around £ 17 per 100 not too bad.Hope for you Connaught get them back in stock.Have you some to tide you through, I can spare a few. PM me.
Mike B

Looked at that site you mentioned, coming in at around £ 17 per 100 not too bad.Hope for you Connaught get them back in stock.Have you some to tide you through, I can spare a few. PM me.
Mike B
Hey Mike,

Because it's a business supplier it's the added VAT then the postage that kicks you square down below, takes total cost for 100 to just below £30 which when you look at connaughts its not exactly value for money. They will be my last ditch effort if connaughts doesn't come through, though 100 will last over a year so its not like it would be wasted. I could be cheeky though and see whether my work has them as an approved vendor for lab gear, could try and get a sneaky deal.

Very much appreciated man, I've got 3 that came with the razor and Chris has been very generous and offered to send me some when he's back in, so should be good. Again thank you for that, very much appreciated!

Cheers

Marc

Hey Mike,

Because it's a business supplier it's the added VAT then the postage that kicks you square down below, takes total cost for 100 to just below £30 which when you look at connaughts its not exactly value for money. They will be my last ditch effort if connaughts doesn't come through, though 100 will last over a year so its not like it would be wasted. I could be cheeky though and see whether my work has them as an approved vendor for lab gear, could try and get a sneaky deal.

Very much appreciated man, I've got 3 that came with the razor and Chris has been very generous and offered to send me some when he's back in, so should be good. Again thank you for that, very much appreciated!

Cheers

Marc
Ouch, that escalates the cost somewhat. I reckon you should get more than a year out of 100, especially if you use other types of Razors. I think I am OK as I am tending to use AC/ SE more these days.However, even at £30 the unit cost of a blade is not too prohibitive when compared with other blades, especially if it keeps the Golden Oldies on the road.

That's it exactly man, I mix it up with most shaves between straights, feather type SEs and a now very infrequent dabble in DEs, I won't turn into a mountain man any time soon!

Noticed that Connaught don’t even list the Gem blades on their site now.
Does that mean they definitely won’t be stocking the Gem Personna’s now?
Had me panicking there, just looked still seems to be there:

Back
Top Bottom