Gem hone question

Hiya,

Saw this recently and well, I bought the goofy thing. Nope, I don't use a straight and have no plans to start.......sheesh.

So anyway, this seems to be some kind of Gem hone with a twist. The 'official' name on the box is Gem Cushioned Hone-Strop. One side's some kinda stone, and the other's what's called 'shell horse hide'. The instructions say that part's cushioned by some soft wool felt, which is the red area on the hone.

Looks to probably be unused and will almost certainly stay that way.........heh. Any thoughts on if this thing is actually a decent shaving item, or just a gimmick of some kind would be helpful. Hell, it really doesn't much matter actually.......I mainly just wanted to post some pics of a weird set up that I could find no info about.

Hope you find the pics amusing,

Martin

Attachments

• Gem hone 002 (Small).jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 99
  • Gem hone 001 (Small).jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 96
  • Gem hone 003 (Small).jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 95
I have one of these(dont know if same manufacture) think mines is called cushion hone, and is a barbers hone that has a strop glued on the back with some sort of foam between them. Have not got round to using it yet but as said you said is quite a fun think to have

It´s no gimmick, it´s a so called barbers hone + a built in strop (the cushion part is no that uncommom with paddle strops, but I´ve never seen it on a hone before). It looks very nice and will prob serve a straight shaver for life and then his children - it´ll prob serve you longer though.

They do work rather well. I recall a few years ago that some woman in the US got hold of a whole stock-room of them and they sold like hot cakes. I guess that using the hone dry is pretty mandatory, though.

Regards,
Neil

Hi dodge
Shell horse hide is shell cordovan leather made from the hindquarters of the Texas workhorse.
Strong supple almost water resistant.
Nomos use it on their watch straps.
Cheers
Slack.

Hiya,

I wanted to thank the members who posted. It helped me understand what I have here a lot better.

I appreciate the input,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom