Gardeners' Question Time - some physics!

Blimey, this one grew a bit. I've been working on it for three days, I feel like Isaac Newton.

Okay, I want to state right at the outset that I'm not trying to debunk anything here. I don't know enough about lunar cycles or the mechanism by which a plant grows to have a sensible argument around that whole thing.

I was just intrigued by something PC said (yes, I know, but it's true). He said this in Tony's thread:
Pig Cat said:
OK, the lunar planting guide says that during a new moon the lunar gravity is pulling the plant's water up. I assume that this is because the Sun is giving the Moon a helping hand. And the opposite is true during a full moon.
I wondered about the physics of this, so I've done some number doodling. Technically it's probably in the wrong thread, but I thought I'd leave it here to run alongside Tony's one, to stop Tony's getting hijacked by... people like me.

This is pure maths and physics gibberish, and some of it might be wrong. Don't read it if you don't like maths and physics :lol:

Here we go.

The equation I'm using is one I dragged out of the back of my brain, which proves that my 26 year old Physics degree wasn't a waste of grant money:

F = GmM/r^2

where:

F is the size of the gravitational force between two bodies in Newtons
G is the Gravitational Constant (6.67 x 10^-11)
m is the mass of one body in kg
M is the mass of the other body in kg
r is the distance between the two bodies in metres (r^2 = r squared, the circumflex being used to denote "raised to the power of" - you'll see it more below)

Right. How heavy is a plant? Well, I've got a bag of parsley downstairs, it weighs 25g, let's use that, and assume it's all water (it mostly is anyway).
How heavy is the Moon? It's 7.3477 x 10^22 kg.
How far apart are the Earth and the Moon? 3.84 x 10^8 metres.

Plugging these numbers in, the gravitational force exerted on a 25g plant's water by the Moon is 8.31 x 10^-7 Newtons.

As an aside, I wanted to work out what this actually meant. How much force is 8.31 x 10^-7 Newtons? We can get an idea by turning to another equation, F=ma. This says that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Flipping it around, we get a=F/m, or the acceleration of an object is equal to the the force applied to it divided by its mass. So we can work out that the acceleration experienced by our 25g plant is:

(8.31 x 10^-7)/0.025 = 0.00003324 m/s/s

So every second, if the force of the Moon's gravity is the only thing acting on it, our 25g plant will speed up by 0.00003324 metres per second.

Now, this is the good bit.

Let's assume that the appearance of the Moon in the sky has an on/off effect, and that the pull is always directly "upwards". Not true by any means, but it's close enough for rock and roll. Let's further assume that the Moon is in the sky for 10 hours at a time. We can work out how far the plant will move in 10 hours.

10 hours = 36000 seconds

To work out how far the plant moves in that time we need:

x = vt + (a * t^2)/2

where:

x is the distance travelled
v is the starting velocity (which is zero in this case)
t is the time in seconds for which the acceleration is applied
a is the acceleration

Plugging the numbers in again, the distance which our plant (or rather, its water) will travel upwards in 10 hours due to the gravitational pull of the Moon is:

21539.52 metres

What? That's outrageous! That's saying that in 10 hours, from a standing start, even from a distance of a quarter of a million miles, the Moon's gravitational pull would move the plant over 13 miles! Someone check my maths!

The problem is, I'm completely ignoring the gravitational pull of the Earth in the opposite direction which, being much closer (right underneath the plant, in fact), has a much greater effect.

I'm going to do a physics thing here, and treat the Earth as a point object located at what is actually the Earth's centre. Why? Because if I don't, the distance between the Earth and the plant is 0 metres, and the F = GmM/r^2 gives us a "divide by zero" error.

Plugging the numbers in again, this time for the Earth:

How heavy is the plant? Still 0.025 kg
How heavy is the Earth? 5.9742 × 10^24 kg
How far away from the centre of the Earth is the plant (i.e. the Earth's radius)? 6.378 x 10^6 m

Therefore the gravitational force exerted on the plant by the Earth is 0.245 Newtons.

(Simple check on this - a=F/m = 0.245/0.025 = 9.8 m/s/s, which is indeed the approximate acceleration due to gravity on the surface of the Earth; my gosh, it's almost like I know what I'm doing.)

So the gravitational force exerted by the Moon = 8.31 x 10^-7 N
and the gravitational force exerted by the Earth = 0.245 N

The effect of the Earth's gravitational force on the plant is a million times that of the Moon's.

Let's turn our attention to a tree!

Oak weighs in at about a tonne per cubic meter according to a random page I found on the interweb, which means a tree is easily going to weigh in the region of 10-20 tonnes, maybe even more. Is that right? We can do a simple check. Imagine the tree is mostly water again, like we did the plant. Now imagine the tree as a cylinder 1m (a yard) in diameter and 30m (~100 feet) high. That sounds reasonable for a tree. The volume of this cylinder is calculated by:

volume = pi * r^2 * h

where:

pi = 3.142
r = radius
h = height

This gives us a volume of approx 24 cubic metres. 1 cubic metre of water weighs in at 1 tonne, so this quick check shows that we're on the right lines, as our cylinder tree weighs 24 tonnes.

We don't need to be too accurate. It's order of magnitude we're after here. You can see, then, that the gravitational force exerted on a tree is going to be 6 orders of magnitude more than that exerted on a plant (if we assume a 25 tonne tree against a 0.025g plant). But the thing is, it's 6 orders of magnitude on both sides, the Earth's and the Moon's. So it cancels out.

Oh, and bringing the Sun into the equation, I found this:

The strength of the sun's gravity is 179 times that of the moon's but the moon is responsible for 56% of the earth's tidal energy while the sun claims responsibility for a mere 44% (due to the moon's proximity but the sun's much larger size).

My conclusion, then, is that whatever causes the sap to rise in a plant, or a tree, it's not gravity.

I'm knackered now.

Bloody hell Dave, that's amazing! :shock: Well I think it is but it's a long time since I did Maths at school and even longer since I took Physics.

I did do Biology at A Level though, so I can tell you that water and sap rise up through a plant through xylem and phloem respectively. I've checked out Wikipedia that has relatively short and concise explanations of how each system works that are far better than I can relate:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylem</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phloem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phloem</a><!-- m -->

Neither mentions the moon. This does not mean that the lunar theory works in some other way than gravity. I am surprised though that if this method of growing crops works so well that it is not more commonly used. :?

I need to figure out how all this relates to tides next, but I've had a hell of a week travelling as well as doing maths, so I'm gonna take it easy... have a beer or two 'n chill out, yanno?

cheese_dave said:
My conclusion, then, is that whatever causes the sap to rise in a plant, or a tree, it's not gravity.

I agree, sap rises in plants and trees despite gravity but surely if the gravitational forces of the Sun and Moon were favourable why would they not have a positive influence?

Their influence is miniscule compared to the gravitational force of the Earth. Remember when 5 planets lined up a few years ago and everyone said it was gonna be the end of the world? And bog all happened? That was because the gravitational effect of that line-up was infinitesmally small. Even with the Sun involved, the effect on a relatively small body of water such as that in a plant or tree is not relevant.

If everything were down to gravity, blood wouldn't pump around our bodies. Something's going on with plants and trees and I dunno what it is.

Unfortunately the premise you took from PC's statement is questionable, the basis for using lunar phases when planting is really to do with increased moisture in the soil rather than any increased ability to draw up moisture in individual plants. I further confused the issue by mentioning tree felling and sap content during moon phase and away you went.

I'm not disputing your findings but the real question worth investigating is could the lunar and solar phases influence moisture in the soil as they do the tides?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html</a><!-- m -->

My exercise in mental gymnastics wasn't intended to be around a proof or disproof of lunar cycles. I just wanted to see what the gravitational effect on that much water at that distance would be. I kinda got carried away though.

Fair enough, the trouble with this topic is that hippies have taken over the asylum, they mix folklore with physics and a bit of the unknown (e.g how trees and plants really absorb water) and you've got a formula that fits their agenda unfortunately.

I heard Russell Grant try to justify astrology by using the argument that gravity affects tides, therefore it must affect the water in our brains.

You can probably work out where I stand on that, and who I'd like to hit in the face with a bat.

Surely the gravitation pull of the moon and other astral bodies is insignificant compared to inter- and intra- cellular capillary action and osmosis?

Maybe Henk can shed some light on that.

I'd never have had Tony down as a moon gardener, not in a million years. Well well well. That cat is full of surprises.

Rev-O said:
I'd never have had Tony down as a moon gardener, not in a million years. Well well well. That cat is full of surprises.

It's true I like to garden in the buff but I refer you to my original post on that matter.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2707&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2707&start=0</a><!-- l -->

As for Russell Grant I would also join you in pounding him with a cricket bat, he's made a fair living out of rehashing folklore and jibberish.

However I think it would be arrogant to assume that plants and animals that have existed and evolved for far longer than we have are not more "in tune" or have become dependent on other cycles be it seasonal, geomagnetic, atmospheric, lunar, solar or otherwise. Henk may know about how fish respond biochemically to the lunar cycle if there is any evidence. I think the New moon in spring triggers a hormone surge in salmon and as it is dark there is less predation on travelling salmon, they have more chance of survival and therefore go on to reproduce because they have a flexible imprint.

Do you think we as humans just stumbled into our current pattern of sleeping at night and being awake during the day by accident? Possibly.
Ask any shift worker how they feel when they change shifts patterns, we all live by one cycle or another as do other animals and plants. My point is that we have been and can be profoundly influenced by these cycles yet we take them for granted. We barely know how the weather works or animals migrate and yet we so easily dismiss that which we cannot easily pass through a formula.

I can't prove any of these things, evidence is anecdotal at best, it's possible that lunar phases affect more than what is easily measurable, we barely understand how things really grow, it could be all complete bollocks but if your interested at least do the experiment for yourself and then decide.

SWMBO used to be a social worker for people with mental illness, and it's true, she could never say why, but things always seemed to get a little more busy round about full moon time. There certainly seems to be something going on, but it ain't down to gravity.

However I think it would be arrogant to assume that plants and animals that have existed and evolved for far longer than we have are not more "in tune" or have become dependent on other cycles be it seasonal, geomagnetic, atmospheric, lunar, solar or otherwise.

No, its because they don't taste very nice... ;)

antdad said:
Fair enough, the trouble with this topic is that hippies have taken over the asylum, they mix folklore with physics and a bit of the unknown (e.g how trees and plants really absorb water) and you've got a formula that fits their agenda unfortunately.

But Antdad, don't you know it's all easily explained by the influence of the Moon Goddess? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave, that looks seriously impressive stuff...and true proof that you don't spend all your evenings slobbed out in front of the telly, or hanging around shaving forums. ;)

Back
Top Bottom