FSOTD

Hot towel.
Proraso Pre and Post Shave.
Vitos Almond Soap.
Muhle R89.
Derby blade.
Proraso Pre and Post Shave.

First go and not too bad. A little nick below my bottom lip and a few on my throat but that's not uncommon.

The proraso is superb stuff. Nice and refreshing and still tingling.

I did 3 passes including 1 atg on my neck, throat and under my lip.

Quite pleased and can't wait to have another go. Feels better than the usual cartridge razor shave. A lot better!

Thanks to all for their advice and assistance and for such a great site.

I couldn't get the Vitos soap to really lather but think that was down to me. I did use a deep bowl but never mind.

Regards to all

Ben

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZTEQCG0KOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d9yuaC_frU

The second video is from Man Machine I believe he is a member on here and local to me. I have bought from him and he is a nice guy to deal with.

Hope these help you with your lathering techniques.

fly3k said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZTEQCG0KOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d9yuaC_frU

The second video is from Man Machine I believe he is a member on here and local to me. I have bought from him and he is a nice guy to deal with.

Hope these help you with your lathering techniques.

Steve

Thanks very much for this. I do like the Vitos stuff a lot, far better than gel and foam.

Another newbie question, if I may.

Finish shave, do you then apply aftershave and post shave Proraso or post shave Proraso and then aftershave?

Regards

Ben

Hi Ben,

I can't help you with the Proraso order, as I've never used it.

The Vitos however, is a brilliant soap(IMHO). What brush are you using, and what's your method? I.E soak the brush, then shake off the water and load then bowl lather, or just how do you do it?

Alex

SmallBeard said:
Hi Ben,

The Vitos however, is a brilliant soap(IMHO). What brush are you using, and what's your method? I.E soak the brush, then shake off the water and load then bowl lather, or just how do you do it?

Alex

Alex

I am using a Body Shop Brush. I wet the brush with hot water, rub/twirl it over the soap and then swirl in a bowl.

Had a look at the 2nd link above, think I'm not doing the twirling/swirl over the soap for long enough.

Will amend the technique when I next shave.

Proraso pre/post shave is superb!

As is the Vitos soap, been wasting my shaving experience for years!

hdb3326 said:
SmallBeard said:
Hi Ben,

Alex

Alex

I am using a Body Shop Brush. I wet the brush with hot water, rub/twirl it over the soap and then swirl in a bowl.

Had a look at the 2nd link above, think I'm not doing the twirling/swirl over the soap for long enough.

Will amend the technique when I next shave.

Proraso pre/post shave is superb!

As is the Vitos soap, been wasting my shaving experience for years!

Try soaking the brush while you have your shower/bath, just fill the sink with hot water and leave it in to soak. I believe that's a synthetic brush, so I'm unsure if this will have as much effect as it would on a boar or badger, maybe someone who knows more than me (basically everyone!) can come along and correct me?

I twirl for more than I probably should, a good 45 seconds normally. I use a lot of product but I never run out mid shave. I think around 30 seconds is good. I can't watch the videos at the moment as my internet doesn't want to play ball!

Ahh, better late than never my friend! Enjoy, it just gets better.

SB

I shall certainly twirl and swirl for longer and soak the brush for a lot longer as well.

Its never too late as they say.

Though i may experiment with soaps/creams and aftershaves think i'm happy with my Razor. Just have to find the right blades now, Derby seem to be ok. I have some Gilette Yello 7 o clocks and want to try some Israeli's as well.

Will wait a while to try Feathers.

I second Chris, the body shop brush is crap! I got one recently as I wanted to try a synthetic, but should've splashed out a bit more and got a better brush. This will be used as a travelling brush only now.

chrisbell said:
Soaking a synthetic brush is pointless - a three-second dunk will do the job. Mind you, the Body Shop brush is pretty lousy, which won't help lathering.

I had an inkling it wouldn't as it won't absorb any water, thanks for confirming!

Back
Top Bottom