Frothing or heating milk

I wouldn't want to be accused of being verbose so Mikael is right. My very good office bean to cupper isn't the best foamer and never will be, the double boilers in these types of machines are tiny so to make up for the lack of pressure the plastic wand attachment helps create lots of volume but not the dense micro foam you're after.

You'll get the hang of it but don't expect miracles especially as you're using semi skimmed.

antdad said:
You'll get the hang of it but don't expect miracles especially as you're using semi skimmed.

I don't need to. But I have now heard conflicting views stating skimmed and full-fat are the way to go. Are different types of milk suited to different coffees?

You dirty old man.
I have read.
Articles.
About.
Milk.
Some say semi skilled. Some say full fat.
Consensus is that full fat works better and tastes better.
Ie a better customer experience.
I've tried all three and can foam each.
The most shiny and beautiful is the full fat.
Mmmmmmm
Shiny.
Beautiful.
Foaming.
Argh......

antdad said:
I wouldn't want to be accused of being verbose so Mikael is right. My very good office bean to cupper isn't the best foamer and never will be, the double boilers in these types of machines are tiny so to make up for the lack of pressure the plastic wand attachment helps create lots of volume but not the dense micro foam you're after.

I haven't done any research and it's only my thoughts (and experience, but I rarely open up machines, unless they doesn't work) on how things work - I could very well be wrong ... Even though the ground tip's you never will get good micro foam from one of those machines Adam have got, but on that we agree :D.

Yeah, I didn't think so either, but your talk about "I wouldn't want to be accused of being verbose so Mikael is right!" got me thinking ...

edited: we need to get back to what's important again though ... Adams jugs :icon_razz:

Mikael said:
Yeah, I didn't think so either, but your talk about "I wouldn't want to be accused of being verbose so Mikael is right!" got me thinking ...

edited: we need to get back to what's important again though ... Adams jugs :icon_razz:

:p

I use skimmed because that's what we have don le frigo, I haven't got round to buying a jug yet but I can get a nice microfoam using a glass. I think changing the wand on my machine helped but I don't know if you will be able to swap things out on your machine. I saw a video of a guy practicing making microfoam with soapy water to save wasting milk. He said when making latte foam he tries to get the nozzle to a place where the milk whirlpools. I have been trying this and it seems to work well. I will try and find the video.

Boab said:
I use skimmed because that's what we have don le frigo, I haven't got round to buying a jug yet but I can get a nice microfoam using a glass. I think changing the wand on my machine helped but I don't know if you will be able to swap things out on your machine. I saw a video of a guy practicing making microfoam with soapy water to save wasting milk. He said when making latte foam he tries to get the nozzle to a place where the milk whirlpools. I have been trying this and it seems to work well. I will try and find the video.

Yes, those whirlpools are very helpful...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmILm1OLeI&feature=related[/video]

This wasn't the video I mentioned earlier but it is the same machine and wand as I have.

Thanks Boab, that's really useful. I was dipping my wand in too far to start with. :s I'll try to copy this method. The only thing is that my wand looks different. It's much wider at the tip. :s:s The outer part does come off but I'm not sure if I should take it off or not.

Pig Cat said:
Thanks Boab, that's really useful. I was dipping my wand in too far to start with. :s I'll try to copy this method. The only thing is that my wand looks different. It's much wider at the tip. :s:s The outer part does come off but I'm not sure if I should take it off or not.

That's one of the reasons it won't foam good micro milk. Take it of and try, prob will work better...

Mikael said:
Pig Cat said:

That's one of the reasons it won't foam good micro milk. Take it of and try, prob will work better...

Yes I'll try that later and report back!

Back
Top Bottom