Freeware photo editing software

I've just bought a Nikon D5100, my first DSLR after being a long time film user. Can people recommend good freeware applications RAW editing, re-touching and batch converting files into different sizes/resolutions?

I'm not a pro photographer and Photoshop is just too much money, and far too complex for my needs.

At the moment I'm using The GIMP (no laughing at the back) and RAW Therapee. The former seems a bit cumbersome and the latter does not have effective noise reduction.

Also, is there any software that lets you "burn" and "dodge" pictures like in the old days?

I think google picasa is supposed to be pretty good but if you can find the cash Lightroom 4 is superb. Will do everything you mention for way less than Photoshop but sadly not free.
I used photoshop elements for a while then something called picture window which can do nearly everything but is not intuitive. Lightroom is totally superior and has let me enjoy working with photos again. In my opinion it is the best for photographers who are more into photography than computing.

I really must get Lightroom. I use Photoshop, but Gimp does get a lot of rave reviews.
Noise reduction software shouldnt really be a concern, if you are getting noise change the ISO to a lower number. Modern DSLR cameras don't suffer with noise anywhere near as bad as they used to.

IanM said:
If you're not a pro, why are you shooting in RAW? What are you going to be using the final images for?

Ian

You don't need to be a pro to shoot in raw. It just allows maximum flexibility, I shoot in mixed light so the last thing I want is the cameras auto white balance. Bugger up an exposure? No problem can usually adjust it by around 2 stops. Neither of which you can do in jpeg.

mattyb240 said:
IanM said:
If you're not a pro, why are you shooting in RAW? What are you going to be using the final images for?

Ian

You don't need to be a pro to shoot in raw. It just allows maximum flexibility, I shoot in mixed light so the last thing I want is the cameras auto white balance. Bugger up an exposure? No problem can usually adjust it by around 2 stops. Neither of which you can do in jpeg.

I cannot see the point of shooting raw if they're just for web use. 9/10 times a good quality jpeg is enough.

Ian

IanM said:
mattyb240 said:
IanM said:

Ian

I cannot see the point of shooting raw if they're just for web use. 9/10 times a good quality jpeg is enough.

Ian

That's fine if you like jpeg processing an sharpening, have got the shot pretty spot on originally ( we can all dream. )

I want to determine everything white balance included then convert to jpeg for web use.

It's a personal thing, certainly. I don't see the need for images to be that good when, for most of the time, they're going to be viewed on monitors that are not even calibrated properly.

My jpeg suggestion was a thought that may have saved the OP some time and effort when trying to find suitable, free, editing software. A different approach, if you like.

Ian

Another vote for Lightroom, not freeware but really powerful without being as complex to learn as photoshop. Less than £100 on amazon with free delivery. Bargain.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom-Mac-PC/dp/B007ELNDAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348651555&sr=8-1

The only real disadvantage to RAW is file size and now storage costs are so much cheaper that barely counts. I think jpeg can be fine for web and email but not keeping the RAW files is like throwing away your negatives.

Back
Top Bottom