Frankensoap.

Ages ago, I used an Old Spice shaving mug. One of the milk glass ones. Wet the brush, swirl it round and round on the soap puck to get a lather. Shave. The trouble was fairly often the puck would start spinning round in the mug. So when I saw a pyrex mug with agitator lumps in the bottom I thought I could press the soap puck down on the lumps and stop the spinning. The soap was a bit harder than ideal for this. So I tried softening it. First by a water bath, which was a faff, then by 30s or so in the microwave. Turns out about 60s in the microwave is enough to mostly liquify the soap. Once set, this sits very firmly on the agitators, and also stops water lurking under the puck. And when the soap gets low, put in another puck, zap it some more, let it set. I've been doing this now for, as far as I can figure out, 16 years. So this frankensoap is mostly Erasmic, but with Wilkinson Sword, Asda's own, Boot's own, ends of hand soap bars (during lockdown, including some ancient carbolic!) and the occasional "fancy" soap, added when really low, for a change and a treat.
Well, last summer, at a craft fair in a field in the middle of nowhere I got a bar of rosemary and lime shaving soap. This didn't really want to melt, so I added another puck of Erasmic and now I've got a bit of a blackcurrants in yogurt themed shaving mug...
DSCN2392.JPG
DSCN2393.JPG

I have an old OSP tub into which new pucks and old leftovers get decanted. There must be some tiny fraction of OSP in every shave!

I've never tried microwaving them together, but am very tempted to do so in the future - occasionally a bit of soap works loose and gets chased around by the brush, it would be good to avoid that.

Back
Top Bottom