Fountain Pens

Papers

The general view among people who are into that sort of hobby (writing with pens and using lots of different inks) is that notebooks from Clairefontaine and Rhodia are among the best.

For fountain pen writing, Moleskine notebooks reportedly (by many users) offer inconsistency and not the suitability one would expect. Therefore beware here. Personally I have been using mostly Clairefontaine (90gsm A4 or A5 notebooks) and they are very good. I do have Rhodia and Moleskine but have not used them with fountain pens yet (almost all the time I use my Faber Castell 9000s B/2B on them).

Most irritating I find that the 'normal' (actually it is pretty abnormal) or mainstream copy machine 80gsm A4 paper we use in the office is absolutely terrible for fountain pen writing. It makes signing or note taking a not-to-enjoy task. If I try to tell my people here in the office to get Clairefontaine A4 90gsm paper they will look at me as if I am an alien, so I don't bother. You can't fix people.

I go out instead and buy my own notebook paper and ink supplies.

Based on the above, I went and ordered 5 Clairefontaine notepads (that's what happens when you buy online!).

I must say I am disappointed.

My fountain pen (with a gold nib) skips on the Clairefontaine paper. My old Moleskine paper is much smoother (it is also more of a yellow colour). It is true that ink on the Moleskine paper is visible on the reverse of the paper but not with the Clairefontaine paper.

I assume that both brands only make one type of paper.

I am comparing these pads from Clairefontaine <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.officegiant.co.uk/products.asp?ProductID=545235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.officegiant.co.uk/products.a ... tID=545235</a><!-- m -->

with this notebook from Moleskine <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.simplymoleskine.com/product/QP062/Moleskine%C2%AE-Large-Plain-Notebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.simplymoleskine.com/product/ ... n-Notebook</a><!-- m -->

Does anyone want to buy the Clairefontaine notepads from me??

Bummer mate! I must admit i live with the slight bleed through on my Moleskin as i only write on one side anyway - what a spendthrift :eek:

That said, my usual daily pen (Parker Frontier) has been playing up recently, i ordered a Lamy Safari (for daily use) off t'bay for £8.19 delivered - WH Smiths in town wanted £14.99 - muppets :lol:

Yep, I've had a thing about good quality writing Instruments most of my life,and that's a long, long time folks! Pride of place at present goes to my Parker "51" in perfect condition. From available information, it's worth far more than the rarest vintage DE razor, quite a lot more ,in fact !

spandex.. :)

Just tried placing an order in <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.isellpens.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.isellpens.com</a><!-- w --> and they charge $35 for uk shipping?!

Given Tony at the Golden Nib charges around $10 to ship 20 or so knots, charging $35 is mad.... :shock:

That's just bull, or plain laziness. I ordered two coffee mill grinder mechanisms the other day from Craft Supplies USA and opted for having them shipped USPS. They charged me USD 17, something for that, which is still a lot of money, but in line with normai mail shipping prices. I've also had boxes of wood (pen blanks in standard USPS flat rate boxes) shipped for about a fiver shipping charges...

Apparently if the postage costs are less then he will refund, but he says that postage to the UK is always at least $25.

Don't think I'll be shopping there....

I have never been a prolific hand writer, especially these latter years, what with (well, what I’m doing now). But I do use a fountain pen when the need arises and the pen of choice is a Cross, which has given me the best part of 14/15 years good service.

Just placed an order with 'I Sell Pens' for a combination of cheap and not so cheap pens - I stuck a nice Hero one in as a present for the other half and ordered a selection from $5-$15 as a real gamble!

Will have an update in a few weeks as I've had them sent to the hotel my family are visiting in Florida next month ;)

After a quick tour of kempton this morning (no razors, sunburyboy must have got there first!) I picked up a vintage Parker - not sure which one it is, but it has a semi hooded gold nib and a pump type filler. Will post some pics later, just need to pick up some ink!

Is there anything I should do/know before i try filling for the first time? The pump is a metal tube with a section that presses in, marked 'made in usa'.

did you happen to pay £5.00 for it, you offered £3.00 but he wouldn't take it ? (you bought off a foreign chap right in front of the Grandstand?)
if that was you then i was right behind you !!!)

there were razors there, a schick injector in the enclosed bit when you first go in, two valet razors also inside, a gillette new inside a grooming kit, and an aristocrat inside a display case but the seller wanted £45 for it ! :(

im stalking you !!

Back
Top Bottom