Fountain pen with standard cartridges

Hi,

I'm currently using a Parker Urban Rollerball and quite fancying a fountain pen.

Having looked around on here I've seen that the Lamy Safari and a few other pens are recommended. However I quite like the idea of being able to use standard cartridges so that I can refill easily at work and try a range of the Diamine inks in their standard cartridges.

I understand that the likes of Lamy and Parker won't take the standard cartridge size. What pens would people recommend that do take them?

Thanks

As a teacher, I still hand write a lot (especially when marking). I tend to use a Lamy Safari for marking because I was given a stash of green and red ink cartridges, but my everyday beater is a Kaweco Sport. It's my 'EDC': it's small, the lid screws on so it's secure (a big plus point), and it takes standard cartridges.

By the way, Lamy etc sell 'converters' which you can refill using bottled ink. That might be an alternative way forward?

Thanks, I'll have a look at the Kaweco.

I just thought that the standard cartridges would be easier than a bottle at work and I'd get to try more cartridges easily too.

I'm a big fan of the Faber Castell Loom, it feels much more expensive than it is and is a beautiful writer: http://www.cultpens.com/c/q/brands/faber-castell/faber-castell-design/faber-castell-loom

It has the same excellent nib as the FC Basic, but it's not as back-heavy and is much better balanced. Faber Castell pens are very good indeed and you have the option of standard cartridges or a converter for bottled ink should you want to go that way in future.

Cult Pens are excellent by the way. The Writing Desk is also well worth looking at.

Thanks for that Chris, I'd just been looking at the Basic in carbon fibre as I love the black look. The Loom seems to have the added option over the basic for a converter should I opt for one in the future.

I have the matt metal Basic, and that takes a converter so I imagine that the carbon fibre one would too, but it might be worth emailing the shop to check first. I find the metal Basic too heavy, but the carbon fibre one may be lighter.

Thanks for that Chris, I'd just been looking at the Basic in carbon fibre as I love the black look. The Loom seems to have the added option over the basic for a converter should I opt for one in the future.

I'd suggest going for something that will accept a converter as well, given that FPs are rather like traditional shaving, being all too easy to get 'into' as an interest. If that happens, you may well find that you enjoy the ritual aspects of filling a pen with bottled ink at home, even if you use cartridges at work. Another advantage of converters and integral filling systems (piston, lever, vacuum etc.) over cartridges is that you can prime the feed of the pen should it run a touch dry. It's possible to do this with a cartridge, but it's more awkward as you have to squeeze it in situ, which is awkward for someone like me with weak-ish hands, and is generally less controllable than with a converter.

I only use bottled ink, it works out cheaper in the long run and you're not restricted to inks that are available in compatible cartridges. Chrisbell makes an excellent point about the ink saturating the feed when filling from a bottle too.

It may also be worth getting a bulb syringe, they make cleaning pens much, much easier.

I have the matt metal Basic, and that takes a converter so I imagine that the carbon fibre one would too, but it might be worth emailing the shop to check first. I find the metal Basic too heavy, but the carbon fibre one may be lighter.
The CultPens website says that due to a recent design change it no longer fits a converter, shame really.

Thanks all for the input so far. I'd have never have thought they'd be so many colours of blue or black ink to choose from!

Thanks all for the input so far. I'd have never have thought they'd be so many colours of blue or black ink to choose from!

To be honest, much of the difference is in one or more of the following attributes:

- Colour saturation; this is especially true of black inks, many of which are dark grey.
- Viscosity/lubrication; a nib that may feel slightly too scratchy with one ink may feel a touch smoother with a slighty thicker ink.
- Wetness; some inks will write 'drier' than others.

In general, there's more variation in shade withn the blue inks than blacks, for obvious reasons.

The CultPens website says that due to a recent design change it no longer fits a converter, shame really.
You could always refill a long standard international cartridge using a syringe. These take a decent amount of ink and you could always top-up the cartridge when at home. Easier than it sounds.

Don't forget brown inks - Diamine "Ox Blood" is very nice.

You could always refill a long standard international cartridge using a syringe. These take a decent amount of ink and you could always top-up the cartridge when at home. Easier than it sounds.

Don't forget brown inks - Diamine "Ox Blood" is very nice.
Think I'm swaying towards the option of a converter to be honest. Sorry, no brown ink, certainly black or blue for work.

Back
Top Bottom