Fountain pen ink

I've just received three Noodlers samples - which I shall use only for dipper pens having read this. What's the problem with it - made of acid? full of particles?
Carl, rather than me paraphrasing Mr. Binder's warning about Noodlers you should go to his website (http://www.richardspens.com): Click on Reference Pages, scroll about halfway down to the Taking Care of Your Pens section where you'll find an article entitled 'Inks: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' (a la Clint Eastwood). In that article there is a grey-coloured box with a yellow triangle and captioned Caution, where he explains the problem, as he sees it.

Since most of my fountain pens are vintage, some more than 100 years old, I only use Diamine and Watermans inks to be on the safe side and to protect my investment. I avoid all 'boutique' inks. Some people may think I'm being overly conservative or just plain boring, but I have built my collection over many years and currently have over 100 fountain pens not to mention a considerable amount of money invested in them.

I've just tried my samples - and have multi-coloured finger tips to prove it! Dipping pens repeatedly into tall, narrow tubes can have only one result, after all.

Glad they are all samples as that's only £7.25 down the drain - all too dark, too red, too not what I was looking for. None of my dippers exploded or melted with the Noodler's inks. All five wrote well.

Thanks for that, Rufus - no wonder I couldn't find first time of looking! Mr. Binder must have spent a lot of time putting his site together. To me, he comes across as well informed but pompous - but I'm put off Noodler's for good, too many other choices, after all.

Last edited:
He doesn't lack in self-confidence, but he is very knowledgeable. Glad to have helped you Carl.

An ink PIF coming up?