Found my grandfathers razor... Gillette Slim Twist, what should I do with it?

What would you do with it?

It needs a good clean so I'll start there, any tips? I only own one DE razor and still consider myself new to wetshaving so I have never 'restored' or even handled a vintage (is this even classed as vintage?) razor.

In the box came a half used pack of Gillette Super Silver blades too.

I'm eager to use it once I clean it (its been sitting in the drawer of a house that has been empty for over 20 years)

That's a lucky find. In my opinion the slim twist is one of the very best vintage DE's ever made. Before you do anything get some sage advice from the guys on here regrding cleaning and sterilising it. I wouldn't use the blades myself, I would go for something like a 7'o clock yellow when the razor is finally ready to be used. Enjoy it, it's a very well made, sound piece of kit.

Professor Blighty said:
That's a lucky find. In my opinion the slim twist is one of the very best vintage DE's ever made. Before you do anything get some sage advice from the guys on here regrding cleaning and sterilising it. I wouldn't use the blades myself, I would go for something like a 7'o clock yellow when the razor is finally ready to be used. Enjoy it, it's a very well made, sound piece of kit.

Good sound advice from the Prof. I certainly don't know enough about cleaning razors to help you, apart from a toothbrush and Fairy Liquid!, but more than enough guys here to help. You wouldn't be able to live with yourself if you damaged it.

Professor Blighty said:

I couldn't wait any longer, used a toothbrush and some hand soap then soaked it in boiling water - good as new and what a shave! It was such a mild and gentle feeling on the skin I am truely impressed. Of course I didnt use the blades that I found with it, but I could only find cheap generic blades I bought from Boots, nonetheless it was great !

n00b said:
Professor Blighty said:

I couldn't wait any longer, used a toothbrush and some hand soap then soaked it in boiling water - good as new and what a shave! It was such a mild and gentle feeling on the skin I am truely impressed. Of course I didnt use the blades that I found with it, but I could only find cheap generic blades I bought from Boots, nonetheless it was great !

Attaboy, you're hooked!

What a bonus having your Grandfather's razor too...never part with it would be my advice.

:icon_razz:

Yes definitely a nice shave. If the blades that came with it are still in their holder and have been kept in that drawer they may be ok to use. I have used blades left in a holder since 1948...

NotTheStig said:
Yes definitely a nice shave. If the blades that came with it are still in their holder and have been kept in that drawer they may be ok to use. I have used blades left in a holder since 1948...

Yeah, theyre still in the paper and the paper is in its cardboard tray, may try them in the future even though they're available on ebay.

Dr Rick said:
Excellent find! The slim-twist is a really good shave imo, mild but still nice and close :).

Yeah its just what I need for my skin, i think this may be the beginning of a collection :)

slimtwist.jpg

I came across this old thread when googling about this Gillette Slim Twist which I have been using for several days. It's been among a small group of neglected old razors. I'm really surprised by just how well it performs. My Jagger Chatsworth and Merkur 38C may be taking a back seat for a while. Another reminder of the great value to be had among vintage razors that can be picked up quite cheaply.

I had one of these, but PIFed it to a deserving recipient. I didn't care for the handle at all - way too long and ugly, but it balanced quite well. The head however was excellent, indistinguishable from a Superspeed. Anyone like me who goes for short handle and lots of bite should probably not bother, but for anyone else these are a good buy.

Yes. I had one (well two - one exactly like the pic and one with a slightly flatter corrugated white handle). the only thing that put me off it was how head heavy it was, but no bad thing for those still learning technique (not including Fido in that!)

Back
Top Bottom