For Science.

I know, it's an attempt at being humorous.

At what? Trying to be funny? Trying to fit in as a newbie sharing his experiences?

It certainly felt like I'd shaved with a knife and fork. (another attempt)

Like I said in the first line of my post? Will do. Thanks.

(Attn Grammer Police- there is a clue in this post to further crimes. :) )
Don’t split my post into separate statements when you respond, please. It distorts context. I strongly suspect you understand what I meant by trying too hard in the shaving sense (certainly not with ‘trying to be funny’).

My post was offered as advice and observation. However, it would seem that it’s a waste of time. You don’t seem all that keen on accepting advice (in fact, you have already admitted rejecting it in another post).

Enjoy the forum (!)

The way I learned how to wet shave was a bit of YouTube years ago think it was geofatboy I then bought one razor which was a mhule R89 and I settled on one brand of blade which was feather blades and I shaved with the same razor and brand of blade for the next 8 years I only had one badger brush as well think it was a cheap set from executive shaving I naturally made mistakes along the way and sometimes had a love hate relationship with feather blades in the early days but patience and time I think just sticking with the one razor also helped it will come naturally it just takes time .
Intact I didn't even start Experimenting with different brands of blades till 2020 and only recently over the last year i bought my next couple of razors my advice would be to find a razor and blade and stick with it for a short period of time then experiment as you gain experience which will come

Don’t split my post into separate statements when you respond, please. It distorts context. I strongly suspect you understand what I meant by trying too hard in the shaving sense (certainly not with ‘trying to be funny’).

My post was offered as advice and observation. However, it would seem that it’s a waste of time. You don’t seem all that keen on accepting advice (in fact, you have already admitted rejecting it in another post).

Enjoy the forum (!)
Funny you should mention context.........

Many thanks for your advice, observations and good wishes.

Here's a thing i would suggest you try (and this is an entirely serious suggestion, based on my own successes and failures over the years) :

• Wait 24 hours since your last shave, to let your skin settle again after todays less-than-great shave experience.

• Then pick a combo of any razor and any blade you like. Prep as normal and then plan to shave as normal, 2 or 3 pass, whatever you normally do.

• BUT (and this is the REALLY important part) ... I want you to try to hold the razor at what you think is the correct angle and then use the very lightest pressure you possibly can on your face - try to almost let the razor glide down under its own weight - only pull upwards as much as is needed to actually move the razor - really let the blade edge do the cutting work on its own.

imagine that you are shaving with a surgeons scalpel and proceed accordingly

• Go nice and slowly - allow 30mins at least for the whole shave - Only go over the skin once on each pass - don't do tidy-up passes.

• Then rinse off and go do something for half an hour and then , once your skin has settled, see how the shave feels and report back

I think you might be pleasantly surprised, if you go slowly, lightly and carefully. Good luck.

Here's a thing i would suggest you try (and this is an entirely serious suggestion, based on my own successes and failures over the years) :

• Wait 24 hours since your last shave, to let your skin settle again after todays less-than-great shave experience.

• Then pick a combo of any razor and any blade you like. Prep as normal and then plan to shave as normal, 2 or 3 pass, whatever you normally do.

• BUT (and this is the REALLY important part) ... I want you to try to hold the razor at what you think is the correct angle and then use the very lightest pressure you possibly can on your face - try to almost let the razor glide down under its own weight - only pull upwards as much as is needed to actually move the razor - really let the blade edge do the cutting work on its own.

imagine that you are shaving with a surgeons scalpel and proceed accordingly

• Go nice and slowly - allow 30mins at least for the whole shave - Only go over the skin once on each pass - don't do tidy-up passes.

• Then rinse off and go do something for half an hour and then , once your skin has settled, see how the shave feels and report back

I think you might be pleasantly surprised, if you go slowly, lightly and carefully. Good luck.
Thank you very much. I'll follow your advice to the letter. Much obliged.:)

Here's a thing i would suggest you try...

imagine that...

NEIeGm5.jpg

Glad it went well - The differences between soaps, razors and blades really can be quite tiny and fractional - any difference in shave angle or pressure can change the shave entirely, so my advise would be to concentrate on going slowly and lightly more than anything else.

Make your aim consistent and comfortable shaves and then you can swap and change gear once you have the technique and muscle memory.

Main thing is to enjoy that Zen time in front of the mirror and walk away feeling comfortable. (y)

Glad it went well - The differences between soaps, razors and blades really can be quite tiny and fractional - any difference in shave angle or pressure can change the shave entirely, so my advise would be to concentrate on going slowly and lightly more than anything else.

Make your aim consistent and comfortable shaves and then you can swap and change gear once you have the technique and muscle memory.

Main thing is to enjoy that Zen time in front of the mirror and walk away feeling comfortable. (y)
Slow and light is definitely a good thing for me.
Although I would dearly love to see if what I've learnt today could be used immediately, with either of my other razors and give me a better shave than the first attempts......... you know for......... experimental purposes. :) but I won't, I'll be sticking to the current set up for a while yet.

Back
Top Bottom