For Science.

Well mostly for science but also because I want to try my new toy, the Feather AS D2.

I have had doubts that the often suggested razors for new shavers, DE89, R89 and the like are still too aggressive and a very mild razor would be a better choice.
In my case my first shave with a DE89 resulted in a fair amount of blood and a very sore face, so sore I didn't want to shave for a couple of days. The second shave re opened some of the nicks and resulted in more soreness. If I hadn't been as sure as I was about eventually being able to achieve my "comfortable BBS shave" goal, I probably would have reverted to my old shave habits and moved on.
My third and subsequent shaves were with the Rockwell R6S. Trial and error led me to use plate #2 for shaves 8, 9, 10. All good shaves which left me looking forward to the next shave and more importantly, I believe, able to shave the next day, as more practice will improve technique quicker.

While the R6S and it's plates gave me the ability to have a mild shave, it has some areas where it might not give a new shaver a great learning experience. There is enough play in the plate/top cap (in my razor) to mis align the blade, giving different shaves on each side. This could be confused with inconsistent technique.

I'm hoping the Feather will have been constucted to a higher tolerance and provide a user friendly consistency.

The AS D2 is supplied with 5 Feather blades and the DE89 was supplied with 1. I will be using a new blade in the AS D2 like I did with the DE89.
This won't be a true comparison as I now have 10 shaves more experience, although small I imagined it will have some effect.

Wish me luck, I'm off to shower and shave. :)

My personal opinion is that all new users should start off with a Fatip Testina Gentile, and before the release of this - a Schick Krona. New DE shavers should not be using Feathers or multiple razor blades packs, but sticking to one moderately sharp and smooth blade for a few weeks.
My choice would be a Gillette Silver Blue.

My personal opinion is that all new users should start off with a Fatip Testina Gentile, and before the release of this - a Schick Krona. New DE shavers should not be using Feathers or multiple razor blades packs, but sticking to one moderately sharp and smooth blade for a few weeks.
My choice would be a Gillette Silver Blue.
Prior to your post I hadn't heard of the Fatip Testina Gentile and of the blades frequently written about the Gillette Silver Blue does get much publicity. I do agree that a new shaver should stick to one make of blade, if nothing more than to reduce the number of variables. Many agree that the Feather isn't a good blade for beginners.

Prior to your post I hadn't heard of the Fatip Testina Gentile and of the blades frequently written about the Gillette Silver Blue does get much publicity. I do agree that a new shaver should stick to one make of blade, if nothing more than to reduce the number of variables. Many agree that the Feather isn't a good blade for beginners.
For £15.00 from Connaught. You should try it.

My initial thoughts, in no particular order are:

The weight difference was noticable but I don't know if that affected the shave.

It felt a whole lot smoother on the skin than the DE89 but I don't think this combo would be a better bet for a new shaver, as it felt more likely to cut me than I remember feeling with the DE89. This may be due to the blade. The R6S with #2 plate feels much safer.
My skin didn't feel scraped with this blade as it did with a new Astra SP in the R6S yesterday but I did nick myself 3 times today, none needed the styptic pencil though.
As another comparison, I may use a new Astra SP in the AS D2 tomorrow. (I know, I know.............. but you know, for science) :)

There is definitely less room for blade mis-alignment with the AS D2.

I recently had a loan of a Feather WD and yes it was made to excellent tolerances, manufactured in a painstakingly beautiful way and yes it delivered superb results. But, to me it felt almost exactly as an R89 which I swear by.

I am going to guess if you can draw blood with an 89 then something is wrong in either your prep, or your technique, or may be both.

I would say firstly 'learn your face'. Which way does your facial actually grow? You don't want to think/believe you are shaving WTG to only find you are going ATG. A good way to cause rashes, redness and soreness if ever.

Then learn how to make a good and useful lather. Not rocket science but worth taking time out to practice.

Start by shaving just with a single WTG pass, find what razor angle works best and enjoy not opening yourself up like a tin of beans.

Look at post shave. Rinsing with cold water, applying the likes of Witch Hazel, balms and moisturisers.

Most importantly don't expect BBS results instantly. They take care and time to reach that goal.

Most importantly relax and enjoy the experience. The rest will happen when everything else has been given time and practice.

Then finally learn how to write an SOTD and develop a love for Japanese girly bands

My choice would be a Gillette Silver Blue
Speaking as a relative newbie to DE shaving(circa 7 mo), I tried GSBs and ended up giving them a few tries, but found they were rough as **** from the start and didn't ever see an improvement in the shaves I had with them. They gave a similar shave to the NOS Gillette Blue Blades (1950s) I've tried - reasonable, but not smooth in the slightest.

I believe that this is where a bit of personal choice/preference ends up in the mix, as everyone tends to say - YMMV! :)

I do think that sticking to one set-up for a while pays dividends though - whatever your choice - you'll end up getting used to it. As for my choice of blade, I would say Gillette Perma-sharp. It is the blade I have started to use to 'calibrate' any new gear I get, especially if I have any issues.

Speaking as a relative newbie to DE shaving(circa 7 mo), I tried GSBs and ended up giving them a few tries, but found they were rough as **** from the start and didn't ever see an improvement in the shaves I had with them. They gave a similar shave to the NOS Gillette Blue Blades (1950s) I've tried - reasonable, but not smooth in the slightest.

I believe that this is where a bit of personal choice/preference ends up in the mix, as everyone tends to say - YMMV! :)

I do think that sticking to one set-up for a while pays dividends though - whatever your choice - you'll end up getting used to it. As for my choice of blade, I would say Gillette Perma-sharp. It is the blade I have started to use to 'calibrate' any new gear I get, especially if I have any issues.
I have a tuck of Gillette Perma-Sharp's in a drawer. I will give them ago. As with everything YMMV.

Which razor did you use the GSB's with out of interest?

I can't see it on the Connaught site but in any case, I think I "should" pick one of the three razors I already own, decide on a blade and stick with that for a while. Once the science is out of the way of course. :ROFLMAO:

£18.90 but don't forget the TSR50 code if you spend more than £50.00

Which razor did you use the GSB's with out of interest?
I tried them with my RR Lupo .72, then used a Merkur 34C to see if it was just because of the Lupo was a bit more aggressive than the 34C and that was a rough shave too. Each time I tried them over a couple of days to see if the shave improved, but with both, it didn't. The Lupo has sort of become my daily driver - Perma-sharp, Nacets & Personna are all brilliant in it.

Now that I have a few Tech's, I could stick my last GSB in one of those and see if it's any better!

Here's where someone in 'the know' tells me that they're all (Gillette's) produced on the same production lines and should really be virtually identical!! :oops:

I tried them with my RR Lupo .72, then used a Merkur 34C to see if it was just because of the Lupo was a bit more aggressive than the 34C and that was a rough shave too. Each time I tried them over a couple of days to see if the shave improved, but with both, it didn't. The Lupo has sort of become my daily driver - Perma-sharp, Nacets & Personna are all brilliant in it.

Now that I have a few Tech's, I could stick my last GSB in one of those and see if it's any better!

Here's where someone in 'the know' tells me that they're all (Gillette's) produced on the same production lines and should really be virtually identical!! :oops:
Most Gillette blades are made by PPI in St Petersburg, Russia. Other Gillette blades are usually Indian.

[…]
I am going to guess if you can draw blood with an 89 then something is wrong in either your prep, or your technique, or may be both.

I would say firstly 'learn your face'. Which way does your facial actually grow? You don't want to think/believe you are shaving WTG to only find you are going ATG. A good way to cause rashes, redness and soreness if ever.

Then learn how to make a good and useful lather. Not rocket science but worth taking time out to practice.

Start by shaving just with a single WTG pass, find what razor angle works best and enjoy not opening yourself up like a tin of beans.

Look at post shave. Rinsing with cold water, applying the likes of Witch Hazel, balms and moisturisers.

Most importantly don't expect BBS results instantly. They take care and time to reach that goal.

Most importantly relax and enjoy the experience. The rest will happen when everything else has been given time and practice.

[…]
This. Definitely THE classic mistake is seeking BBS. It’s all about beard reduction and chasing such a smooth finish will inevitably result in either razor rash, nicks or other associated misery. No matter how smooth a razor.

I decided to use the AS D2 and feather blade again today, as a comparison against yesterday's shave and then revert to the R6S and Astras.
Hindsight being 20/20, I foolishly and against scientific principles used a different brush (a cheap Badger), same pre shave routine and soap but
before I had completed the first pass my skin was feeling sore. Not a pleasant shave today. :(

SCIENCE SUCKS...... and is hereby cancelled until further notice :)

I decided to use the AS D2 and feather blade again today, as a comparison against yesterday's shave and then revert to the R6S and Astras.
Hindsight being 20/20, I foolishly and against scientific principles used a different brush (a cheap Badger), same pre shave routine and soap but
before I had completed the first pass my skin was feeling sore. Not a pleasant shave today. :(

SCIENCE SUCKS...... and is hereby cancelled until further notice :)
There’s nothing scientific in it. You’re trying too hard and are all over the place between different cutlery. Choose one and learn.

There’s nothing scientific in it.

I know, it's an attempt at being humorous.

You’re trying too hard

At what? Trying to be funny? Trying to fit in as a newbie sharing his experiences?

all over the place between different cutlery.

It certainly felt like I'd shaved with a knife and fork. (another attempt)

Choose one and learn.

Like I said in the first line of my post? Will do. Thanks.

(Attn Grammer Police- there is a clue in this post to further crimes. :) )

Back
Top Bottom