For Father Ted and all Tech lovers

Would this have come from a Travel set ?
It was given to me yesterday from a chap i know who frequents the local club i use.
He was given this as a 21st birthday present used once and never touched water since,
still with the original wilkie blades from that time.As mint as they go i think .He has just celebrated his 64th birthday and it definately brightened my afternoon up drinking a few pints of Tetleys.Could it be the chest has more value than the treasure?
Chris

[attachment=4376][attachment=4377][attachment=4378]

Attachments

• razor 1.jpg
    razor 1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 129
  • razor2.jpg
    razor2.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 102
  • razor3.jpg
    razor3.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 114
Certainly the case is the nicest and rarer part.

The Tech is a bog standard Tech from about 1966-197X, I say "X" as I'm not quite sure when they ended production at Osterley but that's moot, this would have been a fairly new design at the time of your friend's birthday. The Proglide power mach 10 of its day.

I've not seen one in a case as nice as this, it usually came in a standard plastic case (transparent hinged lid, black base) with a set of Gillette blades. It's a very nice box you have there.

Hi. Good looking set. Not sure that the two are of the same age. The razor may be from the 60's/early70's and the case earlier. They do look good together.
We get tied up in this mix and match thing. If it works go for it.

Johnus said:
Hi. Good looking set. Not sure that the two are of the same age. The razor may be from the 60's/early70's and the case earlier. They do look good together.
We get tied up in this mix and match thing. If it works go for it.

I thought same but he was certain it was bought together he seems to remember shaving brush and tubes etc came with it and other bits and pieces in a leather case sadly all gone with time just this remains.I'll have another chat with him this afternoon to jog his memory.

There's no doubt it could have been bought together, chemists, gentlemans outfitters and department stores (retailers in other words) were putting together sets since shaving began, independent of razor manufacturers. They're still doing it now, T+H, Maitland and Co, Selfridges and Liberty of London all produce bespoke gift / travel sets that use the current Fusion Proglide or Mach 3 cartridge head. So I think this was from a set put together by a retailer.

I take it there's no stamp on the case? Quite often people like Maitland's printed their company details on the felt inside the lid.

Do you know where your friend lived when he was 21? Sets like these would have been bought locally and it might narrow it down. I'm betting it's got London, Edinburgh or Birmingham ties.

Canuck said:
There's no doubt it could have been bought together, chemists, gentlemans outfitters and department stores (retailers in other words) were putting together sets since shaving began, independent of razor manufacturers. They're still doing it now, T+H, Maitland and Co, Selfridges and Liberty of London all produce bespoke gift / travel sets that use the current Fusion Proglide or Mach 3 cartridge head. So I think this was from a set put together by a retailer.

I take it there's no stamp on the case? Quite often people like Maitland's printed their company details on the felt inside the lid.

Do you know where your friend lived when he was 21? Sets like these would have been bought locally and it might narrow it down. I'm betting it's got London, Edinburgh or Birmingham ties.

I do know for a fact Andrew he's lived in the Wakefield - Leeds area all his life.
I will ask him if he knows its origins but i doubt it though.Maybe bought by a relation from farther afield.If I had to guess Boots would be my thinking.

I've been talking to Dennis about this today .It was bought from a Gentlemans outfitting
shop in Durham.As years and age i got wrong he's 68 now so i say 1965. I couldn't have bee farther off the marks saying Boots in Leeds.
He's got another couple of gems for me dated earlier which his father inlaw owned i cant imagine what they are but he says in better nick.
i'll post photos when he decides i have bought him enough pints of bitter and he surprises me again out of the blue.Happy hunting
Chris

Back
Top Bottom