Foamy lather after 1st pass.

AJP

Hi all, not posted here (the help forum i mean) in a while....but hey just as you think you are getting the hang of something...

A couple of times recently when i have been using a soap, i have got myself a lovely, creamy slick lather which goes on really well for the 1st pass. When i return the brush to the face to lather up for the 2nd, the lather has gone all foamy and airy - to the extent that it then looks to disappear whilst i am shaving.

Generally what would you say this can be due to? Too much water? Too little soap?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers guys,

When I face lather with hard soap, I swirl away on the soap and apply. For subsequent passes I always refresh on the puck, dipping the tips in water if i feel the need. Just a few seconds each time - seems a bit of hit and miss but works perfectly for me.

Right ok. I have been rinsing my face between passes.

Incidentally, I wasn't face lathering, but using a scuttle - really weird that a nice creamy lather turns into bubble bath type foam! :D

Airy lather usually is a result of inadequate soap type (i.e. using a non-shaving soap, or if the stuff was bought as shaving soap, the maker not knowing what constitutes a decent shaving soap). In this context, I must however assume that you are using a decent shaving soap, and that you have already experienced this soap to be decent. In that case I would sincerely suspect the scuttle, more specifically the use of (too) hot water to keep the lather warm. Heating up the lather will 'blow' up the bubbles, making the lather go airy much much quicker than when you keep it cool, or at least at a steady temperature. Try with cold, or lukewarm water in the scuttle, and see if that makes a difference...

Cheers Henk. It was Van Der Hagen soap, and i have used it before to great effect. Strange about the Scuttle as i have used it with the soap in the past too - though clearly the tap water may have been hotter for some reason today. It is something i shall keep an eye on next time.

Yes, excellent spots from CN and Henk.

You are basically adding water every time you rinse between passes and a scuttle that is too hot can degrade the lather as Henk as described.

I'd also load the brush with more soap than you think you need.

I've been scuttling in an improvised sort of way recently, by putting the bowl atop a large jug of hot water. This seem to work very nicely so long as the bottom of the bowl is clear of the water, ie. the bowl is heated by the steam rather than directly.

Back
Top Bottom