Floris shaving soap?

Floris London have some good deals in their sale at the moment, but I've never tried any of their products. I'm tempted to try their aftershave balm and their soaps, but can anyone advise me how well the soaps lather and perform?

The soaps that are available in the sale have not received good reviews.

There's some chatter about the newer ones in the uniform packaging being better.

They would need to be.

Hi, mate!

I have the JF range soap and I can say:

- the scent is wonderfully good. One of the best I have tested in a soap, strong and elegant
- it lathers very easy, no problem with that
- is a triple milled soap, so it will last for a long time (after six uses I can see the letter impressed in the soap without problems, hehe)
- is a regular soap in properties, with only a decent postshave. It's not a TOP like MWF and others
- the wooden bowl is too "spartan" for my taste considering the price. If I buy it again, I'll take only the soap puck and put into a more luxurious bowl.

Cheers!

I use Floris JF soap very regularly. It's my favourite soap, produces a fantastic lather and always delivers a wonderful shave. I also use the Floris JF Aftershave. Mine is from the newer design packaging though, not sure how much difference that makes.

Lose the beard said:
Mine is from the newer design packaging though, not sure how much difference that makes.

New ones = OK.

Old ones = outstanding.

Ones in the middle = bin.

Just what Vinny (not Joe) said. I was lucky enough to get some NoS No 89 from Pedro & both the cologne fragrance & the soap are much better imo than what has been available for the past few years. & don't even start me on how good the old style waisted bottle looks.

Thanks Pedro, hopefully I'll be using all the goodies you let me have on the 11th August for my Ian Lancaster Fleming Memorial Day SoTD.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

joe mcclaine said:
New ones = OK.

Old ones = outstanding.

Ones in the middle = bin.

That's how I heard it too. The ones 'in the middle' are the earlier soaps of the reformulation from maybe three years back. The reviews weren't very kind and this is an expensive soap. I may be wrong, but there were some replacement soaps sent to unhappy buyers a little later on.

The old stuff though.......now that was pretty damn tasty. Maybe five years ago I tried some of the JF version. I'd been using ,mostly creams up till then but this stuff got good reviews. These were NOS boxed pucks that were originally sold by the Nieman Marcus stores, probably in the early 90s I'd guess. Price tag was still on the boxes, whatever it was which I forget.

There was an online discount fragrance site that got ahold of a bunch, and had em for sale. There was the JF and one other scent available. Selling em for $10 each.

I'll skip to the chase and just say that soap was some of the very best stuff I ever tried....to this day. I took it for granted, figured most soaps would be that way. I didn't know any better at the time what I really had.

The story gets sad at the end......the time when I sold off whatever was in my arsenal. Very bad case of seller's remorse was the result later on.

Martin

Oh that explains it, I must have had a soap from the middle batch. At least they've done something about it, I hope you are you reading this PENHALIGONS.

Back
Top Bottom