Votes: 4 80.0%
  • TTO (like a superspeed)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Hi,

by this I mean of course a fixed sort of head like the Tech/Merkur 1904

XXtech_thick.jpg

OR...

Drop head or TTO type like the superspeed.
8c01f40f.jpg

My experience so far is that the fixed heads are weightier in the head, feel more solid, and are quieter and more efficient than their TTO counterparts.
I wonder if they clamp the blade more effectively than a TTO can?
All my really closest shave are from these simple but beautiful razors.
I have to say the TTO's are more fun! Especially me Fatboy when you can tinker with adjustment too.

But for sheer, plain doing what it says on the tin, the fixed head is doing it for me.

Cheers,
Slicktimblake etc...

my pref has always been fixed...ive tried the obvious ...fatboys slims...flairs.etc..and found them all lacking that quiet something...

personally....i just love my slant

For effectiveness definitely "fixed". But there is always that intangible pleasure attached to a treasured or long sought after TTO; & so much shaving enjoyment does come down to those intangibles, doesn't it.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Slick said:
Hi,

by this I mean of course a fixed sort of head like the Tech/Merkur 1904
OR...
Drop head or TTO type like the superspeed.
[

My experience so far is that the fixed heads are weightier in the head, feel more solid, and are quieter and more efficient than their TTO counterparts.
I wonder if they clamp the blade more effectively than a TTO can?
All my really closest shave are from these simple but beautiful razors.
But for sheer, plain doing what it says on the tin, the fixed head is doing it for me.

Cheers,
Slicktimblake etc...

Oh boy Slikki,

Sliding a little farther down the bottomless badger burrow are we now? Well, I'll add my own twisted thoughts to the mix I guess.

Since the bite is preset, I tend to include TTO non adjustable razors in the ;fixed head' group. Personally, I don't notice a difference in the build quality between those and something like a 3 piece OC type. What I mean is there's some excellent and average pieces in both types.

Slimbo, you've tried a number of UK made TTO razors with various numbers.......were you including those in the remark about not being as solid as others?

Most fixed head razors shave me closer than my go to adjustable, and I agree with you there. If I was looking for the closest shave possible, a fixed head would be the way to go. I'd use an Old Type of some sort or maybe a razor with a NEW Deluxe head, both of which are very aggressive (although not for your dad...). Maybe I'd try something like a #15 Aristocrat (TTO), which I've heard also has some nice bite.

It's a kick seeing you refining things as you go along. Heh, turns out there's a little more to this goofy 'hobby' than meets the eye.

Klemel

Fixed head all the way for me, I've tried 3 TTO's now (Superspeeds and a Rocket) and not enjoyed the shave all that much. Seems to be a less stable blade, with way too much noise and too big a head profile.

I've enjoyed shaving with every fixed head razor I have owned, eventually. The techs took me a while to learn but I'm there now.

Well I used the merkur 1904 today And even though it was an oldish blade it still performed really well.
It's not a quality issue. The vintage TTO gillettes I have are fab to use because they are emotionally engAging lovely to handle and have in your hand.
How can Anything top a fatboy for design, durability and class.
Plus I can can dial in more aggression.
But the #66 I had just was too mild and even three passes produced lame results.
I have a late 30's tech and it came as a surprise to get round to using ghat again as it simply and beautifully delivered a first class result. Plus you can put super super sharp blades too!!
I see fixed head love growing all around me...
Tim

Back
Top Bottom