Fix my brush!

Well this has been on the cards for a while but today it happened......

brush-1.jpg

So as you can see there is still glue residue on the base of the knot, is the best way to repair this (with the exception of buying another brush :lol: ) just to scrape the residual glue off then use an epoxy resin to fix the knot back into place?

Cheers

That's it, what is that a solid metal handle?

Make sure its clean, you could even key up both surfaces a little to get some bite.

Yes Tony it's a solid metal handle. Just wanted to check I had the right idea before I went and possibly buggered my brush.

Original Araldite (a.k.a. Araldite Precision) seems to be a better more long lived solution than Araldite Rapid - especially if water is involved, but that's just a personal feeling and based on the fact that Araldite's been around since 1956 and the rapid stuff is new-fangled and came out in the 1970s...

HM is the difference between the 2 that Original comes in 2 seperate tubes and Rapid comes in a double syringe?

I didn't realise there was that many different variations for it.

andyjreid said:
HM is the difference between the 2 that Original comes in 2 seperate tubes and Rapid comes in a double syringe?

I didn't realise there was that many different variations for it.

No - they're simply marked as "Precision" or "Rapid" - you can get tubes or double-barrel syringes of both flavours. I think "Precision" might be packed in blue & "Rapid" in red, but that's just a vague recollection.

No need to put a bucket load in there, you don't want it oozing up and around into the bristles.

A 1/2 inch squirt from both tubes should suffice, mix thoroughly. Without gap filling I'd be looking to produce a nice even 2 to 4mm layer of epoxy.

You could even protect the knot hair with a covering. If you get the epoxy on your hands don't touch or do anything until you get it off.

I would place the resin on the bottom of the knot plug, holding the knot hair place it firmly but not too firmly into handle, make sure it looks true and straight and then leave it alone.

All points taken on board. Day off today with nowt to do in the morning so was out to B&Q to get my epoxy resin (Araldite Precision (blue))

Cleaned up the knot and scored the bottom with a knife and roughed up the inside of the handle. Mixed the resin for almost 2 minutes till I got a "condensed milk" look and consistency. Covered the base of the knot in the resin and stuck it in. I didn't feel it take bite but then I realised the inside of the handle is concave so used the rest to fill that up. Stuck the knot in, felt it take hold, gave it a light twist. Looks like I got just the right amount of resin i.e. none up onto the hairs.

Now it's sitting on the bathroom windowsill drying and I'm waiting.

As my EJ BB (small) has started with about 2mm of lateral play, i think this thread will be very useful to me in the near future :?

unless i can convince myself that the money spent on solvent + associated costs (ie petrol - 20 miles and the fact i can't go into a DIY shop and not buy something else, even if it is only some screws & rawl plugs, probably get spare bits for the ratchet driver while i'm at it and oh, that's cheap......etc)

Or i could just buy another brush! :shock: ;)

My local Tesco & Asda both sell it (and cheaper than the DIY sheds)...

I've just reknotted a Culmak Saloon brush with a Pure Badger knot from the Golden Nib - well I did it Thursday and just used it tonight - forgot to prewash it in Omega or Proraso though, so it was a bit 'new knot' niffy :?

Back
Top Bottom