Fitted Sheets

I bought four French linen pillowcases from Soak and Sleep a few weeks ago. Although the flax is French I was a bit miffed that they were manufactured in China, however the quality seems very good.
Feather and Black have a sale on linen bedding. Most of their items are made in Portugal or Italy.

Keep it going Sabre, I personally would be interested in your views one they have all been road tested, laundered and ironed etc, to learn of your thoughts overall with the selection you recently purchased. I have always gone for flat sheets rather than fitted; are there any other benefits to fitted sheets other than the obvious ie they fit and thus require less bed making time and of course remain taut?
Yes, indeed. All of my fitted sheets have fitted perfectly whether a single or a double. Reading reviews, it's those that own a king size mattress that encounter the most issues.

Well I washed them both, and dried on a low setting until slightly damp, and then let them dry on the airer. I have placed the F&B sheet on the bed. It fits perfectly, some of the "shine" has disappeared. It must be a finish.

I now realise that my mattress protector needs replacing. I wonder if I can get anything in cotton rather than the awful artificial material I have now?

Wow, people spend ~£30 on a single sheet?
I know may sound silly but are they night and day difference to the £5 ones from the supermarket?

Last edited:
I know may sound silly but are they night and day difference to the £5 ones from the supermarket?
Worthy of further research Curator; I am currently sleeping alternately on ASDA cotton sheets (approx. £8.50) and King of Cotton 800 TC Egyptian Cotton Sateen sheets (approx. £38.00) [admittedly now a few years old]; I'm not convinced that I can tell much difference between the two; I certainly cannot feel the difference when I get into the bed and drift off. You will be able to tell the difference when they are being laundered, but once on the bed and being used, may I suggest that the difference is negligible (even non noticeable)? Admittedly not a true comparison, because ideally all sheets in such an exercise should be new.

Over my life I have always bought quality (buy cheap buy twice) in respect of clothes and shoes etc, but I am not convinced that this policy is worthy for bed linen; again admittedly the ASDA sheets have only been used for a few weeks and the K of C have now been on the bed for around 4½ years (and one of the two K of C sheets originally purchased has now been thrown away / worn out).

Off subject, I know, but similarly, I have now changed my white Christy bath sheet towels for ASDA, they seem okay and wash okay; the Cristy's lasted again for around 4½ years, I am monitoring the ASDA's.

Last edited:
We have tried several brands of sheets over the years. We always regret not staying with our standard: Charter Club sheets. We buy them at Macy's. Not the cheapest.... but the ones we prefer. They feel nice... are a bit more substantial.

Depends what you're looking for, I'm watching the thread to figure that out.

Most of my sheets are the most basic (probably 180 thread count) pure cotton supermarket sheets, if you go cheaper than that you end up with a polyester-cotton mix. I did buy some 400 thread count pure cotton Behrens sheets from TK Maxx years ago which were mentioned earlier in the thread. Those more expensive ones feel thicker and softer, they've shrunken a lot though, since about 6 months in I've had to wrestle them on to my double mattress while the supermarket ones still slip on really easily, even after a couple or years.

Depends what you're looking for, I'm watching the thread to figure that out.

Most of my sheets are the most basic (probably 180 thread count) pure cotton supermarket sheets, if you go cheaper than that you end up with a polyester-cotton mix. I did buy some 400 thread count pure cotton Behrens sheets from TK Maxx years ago which were mentioned earlier in the thread. Those more expensive ones feel thicker and softer, they've shrunken a lot though, since about 6 months in I've had to wrestle them on to my double mattress while the supermarket ones still slip on really easily, even after a couple or years.
That's interesting, my King of Cotton 800TC King size sheets, never really fitted properly; I thought that they probably gave me the wrong size in a king size package, but I noticed this a long time after they were purchased, so I could not go back to K of C to challenge. But, despite the title of this post I never buy fitted sheets only flat.

Hmm.
I'll probably stick with supermarket ones for now.
We have some brushed cotton ones for the winter but they're too warm in the summer.
I do like a crisp sheet though!

Worthy of further research Curator; I am currently sleeping alternately on ASDA cotton sheets (approx. £8.50) and King of Cotton 800 TC Egyptian Cotton Sateen sheets (approx. £38.00) [admittedly now a few years old]; I'm not convinced that I can tell much difference between the two; I certainly cannot feel the difference when I get into the bed and drift off. You will be able to tell the difference when they are being laundered, but once on the bed and being used, may I suggest that the difference is negligible (even non noticeable)? Admittedly not a true comparison, because ideally all sheets in such an exercise should be new.

Over my life I have always bought quality (buy cheap buy twice) in respect of clothes and shoes etc, but I am not convinced that this policy is worthy for bed linen; again admittedly the ASDA sheets have only been used for a few weeks and the K of C have now been on the bed for around 4½ years (and one of the two K of C sheets originally purchased has now been thrown away / worn out).

Off subject, I know, but similarly, I have now changed my white Christy bath sheet towels for ASDA, they seem okay and wash okay; the Cristy's lasted again for around 4½ years, I am monitoring the ASDA's.
I have expensive towels, but I do sneak in the odd Tesco Fox and Lilly Egyptian cotton towel.

I went from a £10 asda duvet to a £70 pure wool duvet.
With the cheap one I would sweat in the summer and be cold in the winter and have to put covers on top.
With the wool duvet at a 6 tog, for the last 2 years that I've had it. It is brilliant at regulating temperature.
No more sweaty summers and cold winters. (y)

I went from a £10 asda duvet to a £70 pure wool duvet.
With the cheap one I would sweat in the summer and be cold in the winter and have to put covers on top.
With the wool duvet at a 6 tog, for the last 2 years that I've had it. It is brilliant at regulating temperature.
No more sweaty summers and cold winters. (y)
I like wooly things and I've always wondered if the duvets were worth it. I've got a cheap feather 10.5 tog for winter and a synthetic 4.5 tog for when it's warmer. I should look into them.

Back
Top Bottom