First try with shavette

So a few weeks ago I decided to try a shavette after having a shave from my local Turkish barber.

I made this decision as I have very sensitive skin and normally suffer terrible irritation from normal wet shaving but after the shave at the barber I was impressed by no irritation and a closer shave than I'd ever had before.

Anyhow on a limited budget I purchased a cheap set from barber blades on amazon which contains stainless shavette and some derby professional blades and other things for £13

First shave I was very Causious an used a fairly light touch and managed to shave as good as my normal wet shave but without irritation and only one cut just under my nose.

Anyhow I've had 4 or 5 shaves each getting better and closer but I'm now wondering how I improve the closeness and quality of my shave.

Do I spend a little more on a better shavette such as a Parker or a dovo or do I simply stick with what I have and change the blades for a different type?
Opinions and suggestions welcome

Thanks

Howard said:
So a few weeks ago I decided to try a shavette after having a shave from my local Turkish barber.

I made this decision as I have very sensitive skin and normally suffer terrible irritation from normal wet shaving but after the shave at the barber I was impressed by no irritation and a closer shave than I'd ever had before.

Anyhow on a limited budget I purchased a cheap set from barber blades on amazon which contains stainless shavette and some derby professional blades and other things for £13

First shave I was very Causious an used a fairly light touch and managed to shave as good as my normal wet shave but without irritation and only one cut just under my nose.

Anyhow I've had 4 or 5 shaves each getting better and closer but I'm now wondering how I improve the closeness and quality of my shave.

Do I spend a little more on a better shavette such as a Parker or a dovo or do I simply stick with what I have and change the blades for a different type?

Thanks

no need to spend anymore on a shavvete, i got the cheap plastic handle version.

its good and ive been using it nearly 2 years, try some different blades and you will notice a real difference

(the only thing with shavvetes is you have to snap the blades in half)

its good and ive been using it nearly 2 years, try some different blades and you will notice a real difference

[/quote]

Thanks for the info Shanky.

The blades I have are the derby pro ones (the same as my barber used) so no need for snapping! Can you recommend any similar that are worth a try.

Apart from a bit of research on here I'm completely clueless about what to buy or where to get it from

Howard said:

Thanks for the info Shanky.

The blades I have are the derby pro ones (the same as my barber used) so no need for snapping! Can you recommend any similar that are worth a try.

Apart from a bit of research on here I'm completely clueless about what to buy or where to get it from
[/quote]

feather
7 o clock green,yellow
astra green,black

persona

there is 6 different ones to try.

i was going to point you to maguirebarbershop.co.uk

but the site is down for maintenence, they do a very good sample pack with loads off blades in

this is cheap and not a bad one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deluxe-Mixed-Double-Safety-Blades/dp/B007VMQHHK/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365535978&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=de+blade+sample+pack

(try palm olive soap as well its sold in most supermarkets, a green carton)

Howard said:

Thanks

Here's your answer - 'I've had 4 or 5 shaves each getting better and closer' - the improvement will come with time not by using a different blade holder. I'm told by the people who use DE blades that Derby are not very good, however they still recommend them to beginners on the basis that they are forgiving.

If you want to try some different saloon blades Connaught have them.

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/saloon.html

I'm just lost in admiration at your success Howard. My attempts with a shavette left my face a red ruin every time & I finally threw the thing away !
I can manage DEs, SEs & straights, however that pesky thing is too challenging for me. So, no probs with your technique m8. Sounds like you're doing gr8.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

I have the very inexpensive Parker clone and the 100 box of the Derby pro 1/2 blades. Find only the Feather with ProGuards to shave better.

Re: RE: First try with shavette

JohnnyO said:
I'm just lost in admiration at your success Howard. My attempts with a shavette left my face a red ruin every time & I finally threw the thing away !
I can manage DEs, SEs & straights, however that pesky thing is too challenging for me. So, no probs with your technique m8. Sounds like you're doing gr8.

you need less pressure with a shavvete and a steeper angle than with a straight razor

Thanks Shankster, I'll tuck that away in the remaining wee grey cell just in case I have a rush of blood to the head someday and fancy trying again ........... unlikely though I feel that is.

JohnnyO said:

Thanks JohnyO.

I only tried it as I'd never enjoyed shaving as it always left me very sore and red and often with a rash.

For the money the kit I bought was a great "first step" and I must have spent hours watching videos on YouTube and reading forums before I tried it out.

The best tip I can give you is lock yourself away in the bathroom and take plenty of time. Do things really slowly and practice getting the optimum angle.

I've changed my brush for a badger brush and now use a Palmolive shave stick and this morning have had the best shave so far!

Keep at it

Johnus said:
I have the very inexpensive Parker clone and the 100 box of the Derby pro 1/2 blades. Find only the Feather with ProGuards to shave better.

That sounds very similar to the one I have.

I'm going to try new blades but its getting better every time I have a shave.
I'm very happy for what I've spent with the knowledge that these blades will be much more cost effective in the long run too

Back
Top Bottom