first straight razor

i have a NOS "STIZ" (СТИЗ) 1971 - Rare Vintage Soviet USSR Straight Razor in Original Box, it court my eye as i was born in 71 an just had my birthday, i was looking for sharpening stones for the kitchen ended up reading about straight razors ,didnt want to spend a fortune as i dont shave but thought i should take it up even if only partial leaving my goatie. it turned up today i wasn't expecting till the end of the week and was/am still pondering best place to get stones and a flexible strop.
knowing nothing about all this, thought as im only dopping my toe in the water with this i will go with Wilkinson sword blue soap & bowel +brush all at great price
home bargins for the soap about £2 an £1.88 for the brush new on the bay i thought they must be ok as all the supermarkets stock them an they seem to be the only one they do stock .so like a child with a new toy the razor was covered in grease after cleaning it off it would shave hairs off my arm with 3 passes with no stone (i have some but for chisels ect an wanted to get new ones for kitchen so no good for the razor )i have a padle strop an green and white bar of compound thought nothing ventured nothing gained .
I have had a shave.
not sure if the soap and brush is all that great or if its down to Technic it didnt seam to lather up as much as i expected but i was really pleased i have managed to have a shave with it all the razor was snaging a bit but i have a nice clean shave
IMG_20211006_130552.jpg

Arko kind of rules the roost of budget shaving soaps. Great performance, really cheap (especially if you buy in bulk) and a nice lemony scent. Some people hate it but they're wrong ;)

These AC shavettes from Aliexpress are very good as a back up, to take on holiday, or just to get an idea of what a sharp blade feels like while you're learning to hone. They're very good, IMO. I use mine regularly. AC blades look expensive but they last for ages. As a rule of thumb I'll get almost 20 shaves from a Schick Proline v 4 or 5 from a DE blade.

Back
Top Bottom