first straight razor restoration

Sooo, a little while back I acquired a crown and sword ern 1166.
It was in a sorry state so I decided (as a little project) to see if I could get it to a fit state to shave with.
The scales where knackered so I made new ones from blue acrylic, recycling the wedge.
I sharpened it on natural slate stones and then stropped on leather.
I'm seriously happy with the outcome, while I'm certain someone like ukrob could of dome 10 times better the very fact I did everything makes it a bit special.
Shaves like a dream.
I will certainly be attempting it again if something comes along I think I can handle.

By the way everything was done using hand tools on a bedside table.

Sam, that is a pretty good result considering what you started with. A couple of pointers to bear in mind for the future:

The original scales were probably thinner and more flexible therefore the wedge would have made them bow a bit more which gives a natural angle for the blade to drop into. Because your scales are a bit thicker, its more difficult for the wedge to do its job.

The scales are a nice shape but could do with a bit of profiling to take the sharp edge off the outsides. Always leave the insides with a flat edge - as you have done - otherwise you get a gap where the wedge butts up.

Back
Top Bottom