First Shaving Soaps?

Hi there, i am new to the forum, and to shaving with a proper razor.

Been doing my research but wanted some recommendations on first soaps to try.

Already have a palmolive stick on its way, heard a few people recommend boots own soap.

So any recommendations?

Thank you.

For starters, a good soap is a must. Try palmolive (preferably grated, since it comes in stick form only) or Tabac. Palmolive has a subdued, not very exciting smell (not my favourite to say the least), but works very well. Tabac is probably the best performing readily available soap, and its fragrance is a love-or-hate job. Irisch Moos is the same soap, with a much better fragrance (IMNSHO) but it only comes in stick form.

Or get a good cream - there are probably more decent creams around than decent soaps.

And a good brush of course.

Yep, I echo what Henk said. Palmolive is a great cheap soap which is perfect for beginners. The scent is not sophisticated but I think it's very pleasant. Tabac is also excellent and you should have no problem achieving a really good lather from it. I haven't tried Boots but it sounds like it is similar to Palmolive. Take a look through our Soaps and Soap Reviews section too. You may like the sound of something and wish to give it a whirl.

If you want to pick it up yourself, the Body Shop Macca Root is a good cream. Any cream will be easier to lather to begin with then a hard soap. If you are buying online the world is you oyster, lust look at any of the reviews below there are plenty, choose one you like the sound of (scent wise).

I agree with audiolab that cream is an easy option for a quick start to making lather. A dollop squeezed onto a damp brush, then go to work on your face.

However Tabac soap is VERY easy to lather, and I would recommend that, if it's a soap that you're after.

Tabac - one of the easiest to lather, and one of the best performers. The scent might take a bit of getting used to, though.

I think the Boots stuff is good, but I am not a fan of the scent. Easy to acquire, though.

Ian

Since you've posed the query under soaps rather than creams I'll stick to them. + what has already been said about the Palmolive, for 48p at my local Morrisons it's got to be the most cost effective piece of shaving kit I can buy. If the budget can run to it any of the Trumper's soaps have always been gr8 for me. Coming in at a lower cost I also liked Proraso when I used it. & there are always the glycerine soaps such as Colonel Conk, Scent from Heaven & Mama Bear which I find exceptionally kind to my skin.

Other than that it's really just a matter of trying & see what suits you best. Have fun finding out !

JohnnyO. :geek:

As you're a Sheffield lad, go to Pasha a continental shop run by some Turkish gents. They usually stock Arko soap sticks, which is an amazing performer with a love/hate scent of the highest odour ... er, order (personally, I like it). Also,, they have Arko Sensitive Skin shave cream in tubes. Arko is a bit more expensive then the cheapest such as Palmolive, but less than Boots and quite a bit less than Tabac. In my experience it out performs all of them, in lather, protection, slip, after-slip and scent.

If you you don't get near that part of town, or can't pony-up a couple of bucks for a tube and stick, feel free to pm me with your address, and I'll post you out some - once the posties get back to their appointed rounds that is. I could also probably set you up with a few samples of various soaps and creams from my stash (as well as some various & sundry blades etc).

Cheers.

Palmolive and Tabac are rock solid recommendations, and Arko is astonishing stuff in my opinion, so no dissent here. It's well worth trying a classic soft soap, the obvious one being Cella, available from Connaught. Our resident soap makers have some exceptionally good products available, too. A decent brush is a must.

This is a great value, easy to lather soap:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasosoap.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasosoap.html</a><!-- m -->

As long as you like a good menthol kick.

Boots own is as good as Cade, the stick is the same stuff as the bowl if you only want to try a small amount

Tabac - as above
Palmolive
Speick - stick only
Wilkinson Sword stick (not the bowl, it's totally different) if you're lucky enough to see some
MWF\Kent

that should do for now :lol:

p.s. Arko works great but smells like urinal cake :roll:

Fido said:
This is a great value, easy to lather soap:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasosoap.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasosoap.html</a><!-- m -->

As long as you like a good menthol kick.

That in my experience is the easiest soap to lather,can't see the appeal of menthol in the winter tho

Urban Hermit said:
As you're a Sheffield lad, go to Pasha a continental shop run by some Turkish gents. They usually stock Arko soap sticks, which is an amazing performer with a love/hate scent of the highest odour ... er, order (personally, I like it). Also,, they have Arko Sensitive Skin shave cream in tubes. Arko is a bit more expensive then the cheapest such as Palmolive, but less than Boots and quite a bit less than Tabac. In my experience it out performs all of them, in lather, protection, slip, after-slip and scent.

If you you don't get near that part of town, or can't pony-up a couple of bucks for a tube and stick, feel free to pm me with your address, and I'll post you out some - once the posties get back to their appointed rounds that is. I could also probably set you up with a few samples of various soaps and creams from my stash (as well as some various & sundry blades etc).

Cheers.

Thanks a alot mate, glad some fellow Sheffielders are on here. Will check out Pasha when I need another soap. Bought a couple since I posted as well as my Palmo Stick already mentioned.

Might take you up on the samples at some point, would be very greatful.

Thank you.

And thanks to everyone else for advice.

Back
Top Bottom