first shave

Hi all, well first shave with my De89 with the derby blades that came with it, going to work a bit stubly today:dodgy:, I washed my face as normal, applied the pre shave, lathered up my Palmolive puck in a small dish.

Face and lather felt nice, I have been using disposable razors for about 33 years and I always manage a close shave using beard buster, I felt I had the razor at the correct angle and could hear cutting, however after four passes it looked and felt that most of my one day growth was still there ?.

I relatherd and this time added the dreaded pressure, this did seem to remove more hair, I gave up at this point as I didn't want to push my luck, no cuts at all but I would appreciate some advice on how to hone this to give me the same close cut as my 50p disposable razor.:icon_sad:

Cheers

It's all about practising at this point. Close shaves will come with time. Have you watched the Mantic videos on YouTube?

What I did for the first few weeks was a couple of passes with the DE, then a final pass with my cartridge razor to clean up.

i'd say the blade angle wasn't right, normally after the first pass for me nearly all whiskers are visibly gone. After the second pass and maybe a bit of a touch up, i cant feel they were there.

Hi. With Derby blades I could never manage half a shave. Far too blunt for me. Get yourself some 7 O'Clock Yellows or Feathers and you should see an immediate difference. It does take time to get the technique right, but starting with a sharp blade should give acceptable results even when beginning with DE shaving.Persevere though,it's worth it in the end.

I will have a bit more time to play around with it over the weekend so I will try adjusting the angle, although I did do this whilst shaving and I could hear when the angle hit the beard, I did feel that the last pass when I added some pressure did take mare away, but as everyone has said before I am sure that once I get the feel of the razor and can adjust it's position on the fly so to speak, that I will know when to add more or less pressure. I am awaiting a pack of Astra platinum (hopefully arrive today) so they may also improve the cut.

Thanks again guys.

This sounds good.....Remember to keep the pressure off when you try new blades. Derbys are a love of hate blade, your next blade is a known blade. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice above, sure enough I was being a numpty and reassembled upside down...doe.., had my second shave of the day now and this mornings exercise may not have been entirely futile as I felt more comfortable handling the razor around my face, I think all the faffing around has helped me get used to the weight change from disposable razors.

Pretty good shave with only a few small areas that will need further practice to manipulate the blade, I ended up using much the same tecnique that I used with plastic razor as by using them I have already "mapped" my face, so only two tiny nicks that my alum bloc took care of.

I do have a question about using the Palmolive puck, I grated it into a small soufflé glass dish and I added a little water, I dipped the 404 brush into hot water then into the little bowl of Palmolive, I whipped up some lather and it shaved well enough, is this OK or should I be trying to decant the foam into another container.

I am enjoying spending a little more time on my shaving, but having the normal busy family routine in the mornings I can really only spare ten minutes in the morning getting myself preened, hot towels and wondering around for twenty minutes might work for a man of leisure but I wonder how long you guys take in the mornings ?.

Thanks again guys.

sconie said:
I will check that out when I get home, that would explain a lot.

I bought a Friend a DE shaving Kit for his Birthday in January. Went round to his place a couple of weeks later ans asked him how he was getting on with it. He wasn't too impressed so I asked to see the razor....sure enough the base plate was upside down :icon_cry2:

Now it works fine- but like the others have said- a better blade will work fine, the Astras should be good- I use those in pretty much everything.

Oh, and welcome to the forum

You're right about the lack of time in the mornings to shave properly. You can try shaving in the evening or just after a shower in the morning as that is a good enough prep IMO.

I have grated my entire Palmolive stick into an empty TOBS bowl, give it a good 30 sec whirl using the 404 brush and then face lather. Seems to work brilliantly. You can get cheap plastic containers from Poundland or 99p stores to grate the stick into.

Easy answer is to get up a wee bit earlier. Easier said than done I suppose, but I force myself to get up half an hour early so I can have a shave in peace and quiet. Its a wonderful time for me

octopus said:
You're right about the lack of time in the mornings to shave properly. You can try shaving in the evening or just after a shower in the morning as that is a good enough prep IMO.

I have grated my entire Palmolive stick into an empty TOBS bowl, give it a good 30 sec whirl using the 404 brush and then face lather. Seems to work brilliantly. You can get cheap plastic containers from Poundland or 99p stores to grate the stick into.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure that I will soon get the hang of it as I have wet shaved for many years, the small dish I'm using is maybe a bit small and is not giving me enough room to work up more froth, no astra blades today though, the ebayer seems to be a bit unreliable, so may need a refund and buy elsewhere.

On a side note I received an email from Maguires early this morning querying my order as their website was not up and running yet, however the site above I bought from is working whether they know it or not ?, so hopefully get things resolved.

Back
Top Bottom