First shave with my Eclipse Red Ring

Having put my SA aside for a day - time to try something new for a change.

Using my trusty MWF soap, Kent H80 & PermaSharp blades the freshly polished Eclipse went to work.

In comparison to my SA, the Eclipse is much smaller & lighter. Most noticeably is the handle length (which is similar to a 38c). Balance wise, it feels natural in the hand.

The blade loads easily after unscrewing the base to release the head. people say that you can adjust the blade by not tightening the head down as much - but this allows some blade movement. Fully tightened it is!

One thing I noticed is there is a lot more exposed blade than you get on most typical TTO Gillettes.

The angle required to shave is somewhat more shallow to the SA, and is less forgiving in terms of range.

On a 5 day growth, the first pass WTG is effortless - being much more aggressive than my SA the finish is closer.

Second pass XTG is great - bit tricky around the nose. There is a good audible rasp as the razor cuts through whiskers (and none if I've already gone over the area).

Manning up, decided to go for an ATG pass - no issues.

Finishing up with a hot & cold water splash with Nivea ASB.

The finish was one of the best shaves I've had. No weepers or irritation.

Loving the razor.

What to use next :)

Good to see you get on with that one fella.

I found the Eclipse to be the most overly rated razor Ive tried, with countless different blades (Iridium's through to Shark's) i just couldn't get a decent shave out of it without increasing the number of passes and getting the inevitable problems that follow.

Have to give Tony a big thank you for lending me his and saving me a s**t load of money and disappointment.:icon_cry2:

Still one of the best looking razors though.

Tall_Paul said:
I'd love a Red Ring, but have given up on EBay to be honest.

Unless I miraculously stumble on one I think I'd going to remain sadly unfulfilled!

Im just glad that the two separate Red Rings i bid on before i borrowed Tonys, i was outbid on the wrong side of a ton.:icon_rolleyes:

Perhaps I'll have to put a plea out to borrow someone's then. Just hope I don't love it! I keep hoping my Sheffield based brother (who does house clearances and the like) is going to stumble on a Red Ring or a Darwin.

Tall_Paul said:
Perhaps I'll have to put a plea out to borrow someone's then. Just hope I don't love it! I keep hoping my Sheffield based brother (who does house clearances and the like) is going to stumble on a Red Ring or a Darwin.

Hi there,

Yeah, with any luck you'll hate the thing, or at least not find it the best fit for you. If you do end up buying one for close to retail, justify it by telling yourself how much more money you're gonna save on blades over a cartridge system. Oh....maybe you've been here a little too long for that reason to work anymore.......

Like some other members here, I benefited from Tony's generous loan a while back. I'd been reading about those for a long time and finally got to see for myself what was up. Turned out not to be the best fit for me but man........what a relief to know one way or another!

Lots of luck dealing with that particularly insistant monkey,

Martin

did this go to anyone on here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RED-RING-ECLIPSE-RAZOR-MADE-SHEFFIELD-/220841411990?pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item336b2c8596

Went for about 30 more than I thought it would

Back
Top Bottom