First shave with Fatboy

Well after waiting for months to get a fatboy (and getting scammed in the process) I picked one up in all place's my local S/hand shop for £3 so after a boil clean I loaded with a personna blade and before twisting tight shut I adjusted it to number 3 then twisted tight (someone posted about adjustments on this forum I think about adjusting before its fully closed)

knocked up another great sticky lather (new formula Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet) in a bowl (coz thats how I do it ) the applied to my neck first and shaved that all seemed to be going well no bleeders or anything, Washed my neck the applied lather to moist face and done maybe two passes, Again nice and even the hard to reach areas ie under nose and corner of the mouth where you get the odd little hair it was easy,

I think this razor would suit most and new comers would find it a Joy because you don't have to be extra careful and it can be quite a quick shave a bit like my super speed which the wife has now nicked ( I have only been DE shaving for a couple of months myself so still a newbie),

I how ever started with a merku Futur against a lot of NO NO advice I got one anyway and even though there a many scare stories out there (don't believe them try for yourself) it's fantastic and gives me a great shave every time I have that set on 2 again with Personna blades.

Yes you have to take care with Futur because it will bite back its a joy to use and you feel like you have something thats well engineered in your hands.

This is a great razor for a vintage piece and could be great in rotation with other razors but I don't feel its anything out of the ordinary and not sure what the hype is about :!: but each to there own

The Fatboy is quite a mild razor so you may find that it will suit a different blade and higher setting especially when compared to the Futur.

There are other factors that affect razor aggression but the blade gap is at least measurable.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.ph ... essiveness</a><!-- m -->

Crank it up to nine and report back.

I like the Fat boy with a Super iridium or Astra , I've not tried a feather in it yet , but its on my list of things to try.
Its a bit meh with the milder blades.

Its not about the aggression its how its performs, I like to feel like I had a good shave (but not like a M3 burn out) and the Futur does this every time, I'm not knocking the Fatboy just saying while its a good vintage piece, But there are some great modern piece out there,

I can't comment on blades at the moment I have only used Personna blades which seem to give good results everytime on both my face and the wife's legs :lol:

I am a car nut so I think of all my razors like vehicles, to me the Fatboy is a like a big Cadillac, easy going and comfortable to drive, take it slow and it will reward you but there are more nimble and aggressive out there if you want it. The Fatboy with a Feather blade is a nice combination, the sharper Feather blade offsets some of the mildness of the razor and I sometimes use mine like this for a nice easy weekend shave.

Look mate, you've used the Fatboy once on a low setting with moderate blade. I'm not surprised you were underwhelmed.

If you like to "feel" you've had a good shave then all things being equal I'd say that razor aggression has a lot to do with how you view performance and the Fatboy is essentially a mild razor that tends to works better with sharper blades on a higher setting. As you've discovered the Futur is an aggressive razor that works well on lower settings with moderate blades like the Personna.

I'm not saying one razor is any better than the other, they are different. You've discovered a combination that works well with the Futur, you now know that the same combination doesn't work as well in a Fatboy.

That's the beauty of this hobby, the element of discovery.

I know one blade does not suit all razors I was just posting on my first shave, Not knocking the Fatboy at all it seems to be a good vintage piece just the same as the Futur is good modern piece.
And I look forward to using the fatboy again with a different blade one day and likewise trying my Futur with something different but at the moment I have around 4 packs of personna blades to use first

Antdad may have had his tongue in his cheek when he suggested you crank it up to nine (it's difficult to tell sometimes ;) ), but I haven't: mine's been stuck on that setting for quite while and gives excellent service on the odd occasion when I actually use the thing.

Just had a number 9 shave myself. I was being serious, if he's used to the Futur he shouldn't have any problems with a FB cranked up.

Well for fun today went back to the Fatboy but this time with the Merkur blade that came with my futur (as I also have a unboxed of 10) as I have not tried these yet, Set the fatboy to 4 knocked up another steller lather (thanks penhaligons) and went for it..... And well WE HAVE A GUSHER..... Oh sh*t for the first time I now have a nice little cut above the lip just to the left of my nose. so dumped the fatboy for the rest of the shave and done the quick once over with my (even if the wife thinks its hers because she has used it 4 times) 1954 Superspeed so all in all a sh*t shave...
Now there could have been lots of different factors, it could have been the blade, or because it was set on 4, who knows but what I do know I will keep trying even if I have to have the blood bank on standby:D

Merkur razors .................... gr8. Merkur blades ? Well, not for me. I've never had any success with them at all and I'm guessing that you'll probably revert back to a happy camper once more when you reload that "Badboy Fatboy" with a different blade.

hunnymonster said:
To my immediate recollection there is one person on here that likes Merkur blades, most dislike them actively.
I have 1 that I've not used yet which came with my Futur. I think I might just give it a go in the Gillette slim twist which has seemed to tame most blades for me!

As yet I've not had a gusher not even with the straight, hope I haven't tempted fate there!

Back
Top Bottom