First shave with a Feather blade

After 11 months of DE shaving, I tried my first Feather, loading it in my Slim, as I've got an upcoming holiday, and I want to take the Slim (for reasons which will be explained shortly) and it seemed sensible to take blades in a plastic "cartridge" rather than a card pack. Result: Very smooth, sharp-feeling yet not rough or aggressive, just efficient.:heart: It sliced through several days' growth in two WTG passes and one XTG pass to produce a DFS with zero irritation, even though my prep wasn't as thorough in terms of time taken as it ought to have been.

Waitrose pure glycerine soap
Hot flannel
Kent BK2
TOBS sandalwood cream, bowl-lathered
1963 Gillette Slim
Boots Freshwood AS
Nivea Sensitive ASB (though I didn't really need it)

3 passes: WTG (5), WTG (7), XTG (7).

Nice one.

Always rated Feathers.

If there's one country guaranteed to put a nice sharp edge on a piece of metal, it's Japan.

I'm certainly pleased with my first Feather experience. I've yet to try Superthins, but, in my Merkur 34c, my favourites so far are Shark SS. ATM I'm trying Treet Platinums in the Merkur, but can't decide whether I like them or not.

NotTheStig said:
I find the Treet Platinums to be very smooth but average in sharpness. Feathers are super sharp but not that forgiving I find.

I've found so far that I get on with slightly less sharp blades in the Merkur as it's a more aggressive razor, and rather sharper blades in the Slim as otherwise it won't get through my heavy beard growth.

Feathers are too sharp for me,i much prefer Red ip's,Wilkinson Swords,and,i may be the only one,Gillette Super Silvers.
I will try other blades on occasion but i always return to the usual suspects.
I am actually getting some good shaves from some Gillette Rubies that Robert Otten sent me.

Dave.

Well Chris I have in the past picked them up on TSR, but here's a link for a few on the Bay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Gillette-SUPER-THIN-Double-Edge-Blades-10-EXT-Bonus-/260841164437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbb584e95

Jamie

pugh-the-special-one said:
Well I have in the past picked them up on TSR, but here's a link for a few on the Bay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Gillette-SUPER-THIN-Double-Edge-Blades-10-EXT-Bonus-/260841164437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbb584e95

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.:icon_cool:

Trainman - I also like Wilkie Classics in my Merkur.

Second shave with the blade was even better than the first. I could feel the sharpness of the blade, but it wasn't too aggressive, or rough at all. Lovely smooth shave. When I get back from holiday, I expect to be ordering more.

I really enjoy shaving with a Feather blade - especially in the Feather AS-D1 or in a Slim. The Super Thins are almost as sharp in my experience, and I find they last a little longer - and go off a little more gracefully than the Feathers. When the Feathers go - they're gone. With the Super Thins, there's more of a gradual tail off of performance, in my experience.

I tried a feather blade out and afterwards I looked like I'd peeled most of my skin off my face!

I've only been DE shaving for just over a month so it could be my technique isn't up to scratch yet, but I'm not going to risk them again for a while!

Back
Top Bottom