First shave with a Derby Extra

And it was good! Didn't know what to expect with all the mixed reviews...

No nicks, cuts or scrapes. Not the closest shave but happy. Used Palmolive stick lathered up in a bowl, first pass WTG second XTG.

Even did well over my dodgy horizontal growth patch right of my AA. Don't know whether it's down to Derbys not being as sharp as other blades (so far I've only used WS Classic and Gillette Bleue Extra) or improvements in my technique over several weeks - unlikely.

Will see what tomorrow is like with the Ingram - expectations are high, and then my ARKO stick should arrive next week - proper Turkish experience with these blades.

I would echo that. The temptation to get a sample pack is great, though. Stick with what you have and then get a sample pack. I jumped in a little too quickly, if I am honest.

The journey with different blades is interesting, but inexperience means that you'll probably dispense with certain blades not because they aren't any good; rather you aren't quite ready for them. Workmen and tools, and all that.

Still, it is fascinating to see and feel the differences in the blades – it's a real eye-opener.

Lipsy

I still can't get over the fact that there are so many different blade types, it's a little tiny piece of metal ffs how can it differ so much between manufactures.

when i first started DE shaving, i went a remarkably long time on merkur blades, and the cheapies you get in boots and asda.

I then moved to derby's and enjoyed the way they performed, if a little mild, they were consistent and easy to use.

Then i discovered feathers, which are my current go-to blade. Nothing else seems anywhere near as sharp any more

shrink said:
when i first started DE shaving, i went a remarkably long time on merkur blades, and the cheapies you get in boots and asda.

I then moved to derby's and enjoyed the way they performed, if a little mild, they were consistent and easy to use.

Then i discovered feathers, which are my current go-to blade. Nothing else seems anywhere near as sharp any more

Very similar story to my own. I started on Derby Extras which seemed like a decent starting point from the recommendations for a starter blade. Used them for a couple of years until I more than confident that I could shave with my eyes shut and that I has my technique down to a tee. Then I experimented with a few single packs (I decided that a single blade was not a representative sample of a blade type and so needed to try the whole pack) and now have settled to feathers, although I very nearly settled on Astras, in my eyes they are my second favourite blade.

I still have a few packs of Derby's but every time I decide to use one they just don't seem right any more.

Like most other things, different blades suit different faces.

I think a lot of people start with Derbys (I did), as it's a good middle-of-the-road blade, but then move on to others that suit them better.

They do get a panning from time to time, but there are plenty of people out there that like them and use them all of the time.

I have had a pop at them myself, but it's always been tongue-in-cheek.

Ian

I started with a sampler but rather liked the Derbies when i first started.
I still use them and like them, although i have now discovered i really like Yellow pack Gillette 7'ocklocks which i didn't get in my sampler.
But the Derbies are by no means a bad blade, i must admit the Q&A on them can be a bit shoddy but this caries from packet to packet however.

Back
Top Bottom