First Shave Experience

Proinsias said:
I hear his paddle strops are excellent
40632bab6fa0b.jpg

Damn - there goes the secret of my testing technique...

SirPrize said:
Here we go again! Now that picture puts me in mind of the famous German insult "Arsch mit Ohen" which means "Arsehole with Ears".
Next!

Anthony - there is also an old german game called, I believe, 'ham knocken' or something like that. The players take it in turn to slap each others bare posteriors as hard as possible. The point of the game is that the recipient must look happy about it. The winner is the last one to cry. I have an old WWI german postcard of german sailors playing it - I must see if I can find it and scan it.

Regards,
Neil

Neil Miller said:
SirPrize said:
Here we go again! Now that picture puts me in mind of the famous German insult "Arsch mit Ohen" which means "Arsehole with Ears".
Next!

Anthony - there is also an old german game called, I believe, 'ham knocken' or something like that. The players take it in turn to slap each others bare posteriors as hard as possible. The point of the game is that the recipient must look happy about it. The winner is the last one to cry. I have an old WWI german postcard of german sailors playing it - I must see if I can find it and scan it.

Regards,
Neil[/quote

The first reference I found to this was when I read Jarolav Hasek's WW1 satire "The Good Soldier Svejk", in which the soldiers of a Czech regiment of the Austro-Hungarian army relieve the tedium of a long train journey by playing such a game. Apparently it was called "Fleisch" (Flesh).
This must have been an incredibly boring journey across the featureless Polish plain - to keep their "appointment" with the Russians! (Apparently it was going to be all over by Christmas)

Arrowhead said:
SirPrize said:
... Jarolav Hasek's WW1 satire "The Good Soldier Svejk"
That's been on my "to read" list for a long time. The radio adaptation a few years ago was excellent, side-splittingly funny for the most part.
Regret that I missed that.
If you can't find a copy PM me and I will attempt to find mine and lend it to you.
Apparently it has been filmed several times but the Czechs did not attempt to export because someone thought that the humour would not travel, or to be more precise would not survive the dubbing.

Thank you for that kind offer, Anthony: in view of the way the libraries seem to be selling off their stock of intelligent fiction to finance acquisitions of Dan Brown novels and picture books, I may well need to avail myself of it. There certainly seems to be a distinct sense of humour peculiar to the Czechs: dry, black and frequently surreal. Kafka was a master of it - I've never understood why his work is considered difficult and worthy.

Back
Top Bottom