First SE shave

Hi all,

Today I took the plunge and tried SE for the first time with a GEM Micromatic TTO Bullet Tip I acquired on impulse from the bay.

Lucky really as reading about the SE razors since I guess an open comb may have put me off. Anyway, after ordering I decided I needed some blades so got 10 GEM from Connaught.

The parcel with the razor arrived Friday, a full 9 days after ordering (it did come from Washington state, and according to the tracking info, got to Kentucky in three days then vanished into the care of Citipost uk).

Anyway, I cleaned it yesterday, although it looked fine but you never know then this morning complete with three days of growth I loaded up a blade, eventually. I managed to drop it out of the razor twice whilst trying to operate the TTO mechanism.

Lathered up with Proraso white, swallowed hard and had a completely uneventful, comfortable and close shave.

Two passes one with then one against, and a touch up under the jaw line was all it took. No nicks, cuts or even weepers. I presume my experience with DE must have paid off. Finding the correct angle seemed so much easier than I remember the early days of DE shaving, aided to a great extent by the amazing rasping sound as the whiskers were mown down by that thick rigid blade.

I can't say I am going to give up the DE razors after just one shave, but I will certainly be keeping the SE. The bullet tip/flying wing seemed to suit me really well with the GEM blade, which was lucky.

I have three SE razors and i find the old timers had it right they still give an excellent shave so i alternate between SE and DE razors and i use the Gem blades As well hope you get on well with your SE

Back
Top Bottom