First SE Shave

So tonight was my first SE shave with an ever ready and a gem blade. An interesting experience. first pass was going well until I got below the lip and the razor just didn't want to cut. Didnt want to apply any pressure (saw the video about balancing it on your little finger) but it kind hovered there on the stubble. Definitely got the scraping toast sound everywhere else so think the angle was ok. Pretty much flat to the face. Persevered with a second pass against the grain. again good on neck and cheeks got to the bottom of my chin and again it didn't want to move. Both times thought it could have been the lather drying out so applied more with out improvement. decided to go across the grain. Had a few tiny weepers and was a bit sore. Decided to give it one WTG pass with the slant and exited the bathroom. Will persevere in a few days but wondered if perhaps they are not too great for longish stubble? I normally shave every other day. Any advice greatly appreciated. I will get back on the horse and try again.

fly3k said:
So tonight was my first SE shave with an ever ready and a gem blade. An interesting experience. . Any advice greatly appreciated. I will get back on the horse and try again.

Hi there,

Well since you asked, I do have some good advice. From personal experience I would suggest you shoot that horse, bury the damn thing, and maybe say a few words over it.

Now I may be in the minority here, since most members don't seem to end up shooting their pony. Just trying to save you some grief, fooling around with those goofy SE things.

Glad to help,

Martin

fly3k said:
So tonight was my first SE shave with an ever ready and a gem blade. An interesting experience. first pass was going well until I got below the lip and the razor just didn't want to cut. Didnt want to apply any pressure (saw the video about balancing it on your little finger) but it kind hovered there on the stubble. Definitely got the scraping toast sound everywhere else so think the angle was ok. Pretty much flat to the face. Persevered with a second pass against the grain. again good on neck and cheeks got to the bottom of my chin and again it didn't want to move. Both times thought it could have been the lather drying out so applied more with out improvement. decided to go across the grain. Had a few tiny weepers and was a bit sore. Decided to give it one WTG pass with the slant and exited the bathroom. Will persevere in a few days but wondered if perhaps they are not too great for longish stubble? I normally shave every other day. Any advice greatly appreciated. I will get back on the horse and try again.

Hi is that razor a 1912pat? If so you should use the angle in picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 41
John said:

Yes I believe so. I didnt use an angle as steep as they recommended. The same guy in the youtube video said that the angle the maker recommends isnt the greatest idea but I will give it a go next time around.

Typical I got one off ebay only for my dad to turn up off his travels with another one so now I have two of them!

I have one too and I quite like it. Need to give it another flick round the old fizzer so tomorrow I'll be ready with the Ever Ready. Je suis prest.

fly3k said:
Didnt want to apply any pressure (saw the video about balancing it on your little finger) but it kind hovered there on the stubble.

Could I be so bold as to ask for a link to said video? I haven't tried my SEs yet but would like some visual advice on how to do it!

Thanks.

fly3k said:
John said:

Yes I believe so. I didnt use an angle as steep as they recommended. The same guy in the youtube video said that the angle the maker recommends isnt the greatest idea but I will give it a go next time around.

Typical I got one off ebay only for my dad to turn up off his travels with another one so now I have two of them!

LOL two is better than none :icon_biggrin:

I've only recently started with the SE and I did have a few areas where it struggled to cut through on the first shave or so. I originally put it down to technique (which undoubtedly was a factor) but, having started out with a new one today, I have to say that I think that the Gem blades are very rough and tuggy for the first use or two.

I ended up using the SE for five shaves on the bounce last week and found I was a lot more proficient by the end, but also the blade really improved by about day 3.

It's been suggested that it's worth stropping the blade on a pair of (old!) jeans first time out and I think I'll have a go at that next time.

I decided to sell mine eventually. I got reasonable shaves but just prefer less burn. I got through loads of stubble with ease bit never quite a close enough finish and can't quite put my finger on why I don't like the thick blades. More choice maybe.

ChopperHarris said:
I've only recently started with the SE and I did have a few areas where it struggled to cut through on the first shave or so. I originally put it down to technique (which undoubtedly was a factor) but, having started out with a new one today, I have to say that I think that the Gem blades are very rough and tuggy for the first use or two.

I ended up using the SE for five shaves on the bounce last week and found I was a lot more proficient by the end, but also the blade really improved by about day 3.

It's been suggested that it's worth stropping the blade on a pair of (old!) jeans first time out and I think I'll have a go at that next time.

I had heard this, once I had finished I gave it a good palm strop so hopefully next time it may be a bit smoother.

mulligano said:
fly3k said:
Didnt want to apply any pressure (saw the video about balancing it on your little finger) but it kind hovered there on the stubble.

Could I be so bold as to ask for a link to said video? I haven't tried my SEs yet but would like some visual advice on how to do it!

Thanks.

Lets see if this works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4

He has another one where he shaves with it but he is really quick. Its a micromatic but same principal I guess?

fly3k said:
Lets see if this works

He has another one where he shaves with it but he is really quick. Its a micromatic but same principal I guess?

Here's the high-speed demonstration:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnQ1Rk68ygw[/video]

Lets see if this works

Here's the high-speed demonstration:

Excellent! Thanks guys. I'd searched for "SE shaving tips" and other variants but came up relatively blank. These are really good.

Back
Top Bottom