First SE recommendation?

Afternoon all,

The phrases 'comfortable', 'smooth' and 'no irritation' keep cropping up whenever I read about SE razors, so much so that I feel duty bound to give one a go. I've tried injectors and they weren't for me. No horror stories as I got on with them ok, I just didn't click with them if that makes sense. I get irritation when I shave, usually on one side of my neck. This is partly to do with the condition of my skin, partly technique on my part but mostly due to fairly crazy stubble growth (swirly).

I've read a few threads but I'm finding some of the opinions a bit contradictory, so my question to the forum is... what would be a good SE razor to start with? Fortunately, or not, the blade selection process is quite limited. This could be a blessing or a curse but at least discovering if SEs are for me shouldn't take too long.

I would say start with a 1912 (Ever Ready or Gem) it is the razor I and many others started with. I think it is the easiest razor to find the angle with and best balance between comfort and efficiency.
Plus they are abundant on Ebay making them cheap and easy to find.

Of the ones I've used, the Ever Ready 1912 and Gem Baton come into the comfortable/mild range; the Open Comb Micro Matic is a bit harsher as is the Ever Ready Streamline.

I'm sure you'll get lots of differing opinions on this - I sometimes wonder if this is down to the fact that millions of these razors were made and perhaps the quality differes from one to another.

The modern Gem blade from Connaughts is pretty consistent although you might want to run it through a cork before first use. You can use a modified Feather SE but they don't seem to last longer than a couple of shaves.

BigRon said:
I would say start with a 1912 (Ever Ready or Gem) it is the razor I and many others started with. I think it is the easiest razor to find the angle with and best balance between comfort and efficiency.
Plus they are abundant on Ebay making them cheap and easy to find.

+1
I bought one on ebay for £1 and was blown away by good the shave was.

Greetings

I agree with what has been said above, any 1912 from GEM Ever Ready or Star.

They all shave very well and are the 'bread and butter' of SE's. I could suggest several others but E-bay is full of good 1912's not least of all because many, especially most of the Ever Ready's, were made here in the UK.

There are numerous sub models but the heads (frames) on all of them are more or less the same. As already stated they are also cheap, so if you don't like it you will be unlikely to be out of pocket more than a tenner!

Regards
Dick.

Well, the general consensus seems to be a 1912 so I shall keep an eye open on eBay or see what other offers come up. I'll have to order 10 of the GEM blades from Connaught as they seem to be the only local option. Experience tells me that an SE won't be that much different an experience from injectors or DEs but there seems to be so much enthusiasm about SEs I suppose I'll have to find out for myself.

+1 on the 1912. It's VERY different from DE shaving mainly because there is no flex on the blade, I believe this was what caused the irritation for me hence switching toSE. And then there's the noise! Like toast being scraped - sounds great. PM me and I'll send you a couple of blades once you have your razor. If you don't like it put it back on t'bay. Jobs a good'un.

Back
Top Bottom