First "proper" shave with new kit

jfk

Took delivery of shaver starter kit from traditional shaving company this week, Merkur 34C HD razor, selection of blades, EJ badger brush, Taylor's of Old Bond Street sandalwood shaving soap in wooden bowl ...

WOW.

Best. Shave. Ever.

Had a shower, left the top off the wooden bowl of soap, dribbled a few drops of water on it.

Left the brush to soak for a couple of mins in warm water... worked up the soap lather.

First time I've jused a brush, don't think I got as much lather on it from the soap puck as I should have, but made sure I gave a good swirl in a lathering bowl (well, a large cappacino cup!) and worked the lather up. Felt lovely putting it on and made sure I gave a good swirl and paint on my face.

Used the Merkur with an Astra blade, just let the blade rest against my face and used the weight of the razor to shave downwards. Followed the grain and shaved in straight "panels" like all the good youtube vids show :cool:

Re-lathered my face then shaved across the grain, tidied up with a 3rd pass.

Washed face with cool water, splashed some cold water on to close up the pores, patted face dry. Applied Nivea sensitive aftershave balm.

Only 1 slight nick on the neck, used styptic pencil.

Result: Lovely smooth shave all round, only a few spots missed on the moustache area, neck area lovely and smooth.

The other half loves the smell of the sandalwood shaving soap and approved of the smoothness. I've been stroking my face all day haha :lol:

I am a very happy convert to traditional wet shaving with brush and lather!!!!

Face is still smooth now at nearly 7pm!!!

Normally my face would be like sandpaper at this time. How awesomely close a shave is that?

Good to hear you've had a good start, keep it nice and simple.

You Red or Blue fella :?: Correct answer will get you a nice little pif for your new found disaster in saving money.

That's a nice collection of kit to start off with - enjoy those shaves fella :) . And can I congratulate you on your Papa Lazarou avatar - "There was a block in you toilet, but it's o.k., I've fixed it now."

RB73 said:

You Red or Blue fella :?: Correct answer will get you a nice little pif for your new found disaster in saving money.

LOL I'm in dangerous terrority here - being a scoucer in manc I'm an LFC supporter ....

Francorelli said:
That's a nice collection of kit to start off with - enjoy those shaves fella :) . And can I congratulate you on your Papa Lazarou avatar - "There was a block in you toilet, but it's o.k., I've fixed it now."

IS DAVE THERE?????

jfk said:
RB73 said:

LOL I'm in dangerous terrority here - being a scoucer in manc I'm an LFC supporter ....

:shock: :shock: For the love of God man :shock: :shock:

PM your addy and i'l get some bits up to you for the sheer bravery of putting that out there fella. :lol:

Ouch had some "close shave" action this morning.

Getting the hang of lathering better - my lather was more like the youtube vids/pics, like a thick creamy emulsion.

Merkur 34C + new Astra blade
Taylo'rs of Old Bond Street Shaving Soap

Had a shower, lathered up and got shaving.

First couple of strokes with the grain fine
Re-lathered, next strokes across the grain started cutting a bit close - did a nice cut on the upper lip :lol:
Neck area and along the jawline are also exceedingly close, feel like a good few layers of skin have been taken off! One part of my jawline has a "stippling" effect like the blood has risen to the surface.

Finished with increasingly cold water on the face, Nivea sensitive aftershave balm and styptic pencil....

slowly getting the hang of it! Boy those blades are sure sharp!!!

Back
Top Bottom