First Post!

J

jam71

Hallo Gents
Time to give something back after weeks of pouring over this forum. The information contained within has been nothing short of a revelation for me. Like many others on here my shaving life began some twenty odd years ago with a Gillette Mach something or other, two blades and and lubricating strip, wow, modern technology! I think I obviously went down this route because in my youth I didn't know any better and had no father figure to learn from. Anyway the past couple of years have seen a bit of a sea change, bored with the daily drag, literally, I stopped shaving and went for a beard. Great in the winter months whilst pounding the rugby pitches of Hampshire! This year though with the onset of the summer months and a growing need to shave once again I began to ponder my options. For sure there was no going back to the ongoing expense and un-environmentally friendly route of the disposables. One source of inspiration was the full on cut throat treatment I had whilst on an unexpected trip to Turkey last year. Initially though my interest was peaked by that of a Rolls Razor and the lure of £6 and a razor for life! However, when the rolls arrived it quite simply wasn't going to work for me but may remain a project for the future!

Finally, I stumbled upon this site and the world of the DE and I haven't looked back. Hours of fascinating deliberation about types of razors, blades, brushes, soaps and creams kept my up into the small hours of the night. Not to mention wandering around London in St. James and Jermyn Streets. I finally decided that on my recent birthday I would treat myself to a new setup and jump in feet first, here's what I ended up with and my thoughts.

Merkur Vision - Everything I hoped for, it's heft makes it a delight to hold, the bomb bay doors, as I like to call them, allay my newbie fears of finger cuts and for someone with a huge snout no problem in getting in underneath.

Merkur Blades - Came with the kit so no comparison as yet, what I can say is that from beard to skin in one easy stroke and one easy rinse (no clogging) was inspiring to say the least. Four packets of Jewels on their way from Rob on eBay, who may of this moment still have 20 packs left! (See blade section). I love the fact I can keep a sharps jar and recycle these blades.

Simpson Super Badger Persian Jar 2 (Two Band) - A long story on this one which I'll share at a later date! No comparison as I'd never used one before but what a joy, what a joy!

Neals Yard Remedies Close Shave Cream - As I'm into all things organic this was one of the most difficult things to decide on, I will continue to post on other organic options I've found during my search. Not sure my technique is quite there yet but compared to the chemically derived squirty can stuff the difference was night and day.

So there you have it, my shaving world turned upside down for the better, it's now a positive joy to get out of bed first thing in the morning and shave, it's faster now for one thing and something to look forward to, thank you to all at the Shaving Room!

Cheers chaps

Hi & very welcome Jam. Most of us really like Merkur razors, but have rather more reservations about their blades. Thing is with blades, it's really just a case of "suck it and see" (not literally !) and what works for you can't be bad. If you ever fancy trying a "clean" glycerine soap then Mama Bear is good, you might also like to browse Scent From Heaven .

Hope you keep us all updated on your progress & keep the faith. :D

JohnnyO.

What sort of Jam are you, exactly?

Now about the Neal's Yard stuff: the lavender soap is about the worst I've tried (and I've tried dozens if not scores) but the asb is wonderful - pretty much the best balm out there.

Anyway, greetings. Make yourself at home. Looks like it's your round.

...................................where's the second chapter.. :lol:

Hello and welcome Jam, sounds like you've hit the floor running :) monster of a razor to start with :shock:

Welcome on board Jam!

The Vision is a Beast of a razor, you cant loose that one easily thats for sure.
Anyway glad to hear its all going well so far, Next thing up is the illness. But which strain? Will you be a Razor addict / Brush hoarder / Cream daemon?

Theres no resisting, it will hit. Its just a case of when... :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom