First DE Shave… what to use?

Hi,
so finally took the plunge, and tomorrow will be my first DE Wet Shave.

Like all noobs to anything I have undoubtedly got kit way above my needs, but would appreciate advice on how to set it up.
I have a Rockwell 6S (because it looks good quality and allows me to adjust the aggression), so what plate should I start with?
I’m thinking 1 or 2, just to get the hang of it?

Next what blade?
I probably unwisely chose too sharp, but again, I was swayed by online consensus that these are all good quality.
Feather (scary)
Nacet (semi-scary)
Personna Platinum (will it be sharp enough on a low 6S plate)

As additional info, I’ve shaved for 40+ years using cartridge razors, and have medium to coarse beard hair, and not particularly sensitive skin.
I’ll also be using Proraso pre-shave and Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic Shave cream.

Thanks for any/all advice.

Congratulations on your step to try a DE shave. You have a great choice of tools!
Prep is really important with a DE shave especially with your beard hair characteristics so don't skimp on that.
Personally I don't think on plate 1 or 2 you will feel the blade diferrence so much, I would go with the Nacet.
Plate 1 will be too mild. You will end up dissapointed that you won't be getting a smooth result. If you say you don't have sensitive skin I would skip 1 and start with plate 2. In all honesty I think after your first shave you'll want to jump to 3. Rockwell is an amazingly smooth razor pretty much on all plates.
I'm sure you've done your DE reading by now but don't forget the basics, let the razor's weight to do the work (The 6S has some heft) and perhaps don't go with all 3 passes on your first shave. Finish off with your cartridge for ATG ;)

This is exciting!

No idea on the Rockwell, so take advice. What I would say is you sound scared of the Feather and the Nacet and even a little about the Personna, but really don't worry. I put off "the Feather" for some months and when I did get around to it, I didn't find it scary at all. Anyway, go with the Personna which is plenty sharp enough but very smooth and that should be about right for a first shave.

Take your time!

Savour the experience. Take frequent stops to assess what's going on and think ... think ... think. Reassess as you go and ensure you've got a good angle, light touch and most importantly enjoying the hell out of it!

I may have slightly exaggerated the fear factor for dramatic effect.
In my uneducated opinion I think a decently sharp blade should make for an easier, smoother shave.
I guess I’ll find out.
I was going to start with the Nacet on plate 1, but now I think I’ll follow ATG’s advice and go Personna on Plate 2 and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies… I’ll report back.

I may have slightly exaggerated the fear factor for dramatic effect.
In my uneducated opinion I think a decently sharp blade should make for an easier, smoother shave.
I guess I’ll find out.
I was going to start with the Nacet on plate 1, but now I think I’ll follow ATG’s advice and go Personna on Plate 2 and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies… I’ll report back.

Sharp blades are a weird one, in a mild razor they can be easier on the skin than a middle of the road blade in a slightly more efficient razor.

If you've not used a DE razor before, I'd say find the right angle (start with the top cap on your skin then turn the razor to find the cutting angle of the razor's head) and the thing which is completely different to using a cartridge - use a light touch and do not apply any pressure!

Good luck.

if it feels rough like sandpaper to your fingertips, it will be hard work for the blade and unpleasant for you.

So do whatever it takes to soften that stubble first and it will make for a better shave experience.

Wet it / wash it / use your pre-shave ......... do all three if neccesary.

Just get that stubble feeling more like hair and less like wire wool before you start (y)

Go slow and gentle and most of all ..... enjoy the shave.

Your choice of equipment sounds great to me.

Sharp blades are a weird one, in a mild razor they can be easier on the skin than a middle of the road blade in a slightly more efficient razor.

If you've not used a DE razor before, I'd say find the right angle (start with the top cap on your skin then turn the razor to find the cutting angle of the razor's head) and the thing which is completely different to using a cartridge - use a light touch and do not apply any pressure!

Good luck.
blade-angle.jpg

I neglected the pre-shave step for a long time and depending on your hair type it can make a huge difference to your shave.

Would also say the object is to remove stubble gradually over several passes. It will be at least two, more like three; I often do four plus another 'touch up' pass where I'm carefully tackling rhe tricky areas.
By thinking about gradually reducing the stubble each pass you're less likely to push down on the razor like you would a cartridge.
Finally, knowing which direction your beard grows in around your face will help with the quality of your finish. Iwith the grain will be easier on your skin but may lead to a less close finish. Across or against the grain requires more care but can get a really close shave (if that's important to you) but may be best left till you have the "muscle memory" to apply your shaving technique without having to think about it.

I have a 6s. I use plates 5 or 6. I would suggest 3 to start as too low could lead to "over shaving"

As said above, preshave prep is important, as is looking for gradual hair reduction.

I would suggest 2 passes on plate 3 to start. You can increase passes or plate if need be from there, but too much is more irritating than too little.

I'd get out the 3 plate, stick a Feather in, lather up and have at it. Its a shave, will you get the odd nick or cut the head off the odd spot, yeah of course you will but it'll be far from a Sweeny Todd bloodbath. We all get them. If you have been using Cartridges you are used to Wet Shaving already. Just don't press as hard. You'll still have to press to remain in contact with the skin, I don't go with nor believe in the old " Weight of the Razor" stuff.
You have to make contact with the skin or the Razor will skip and tug. Just don't press as much. One thing I would advise is never shave anywhere that doesn't have lather on. Lather is the lubricant that allows the blade to glide and not snag, just like Oil in an Engine, keep well lathered, maintain contact and you'll be fine. Don't try for Baby Butt Smooth, just have a normal shave.
Enjoy

All the best for your DE journey.

I had high expectations and made lots of mistakes when I first started DE shaving. I came across a series of shave tutorials on Youtube by mantic59: https://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59. After watching those and changing my mindset everything clicked. I recognised the concept of progressive stubble removal with each pass - angle - no pressure - good preperation.

I appreciate your miilage may vary - may I recommend you watch his tutorials?

Chris

Last edited:
Post-Shave Update:

In the end I chose a Nacet blade on plate 2, which I felt was a fair compromise between heroic and wuss.

All went really well on the first and second pass, so much so that I went for a third.
I’m pleased to report that it was a very pleasant and successful launch into the world of DE shaving.
My face is so smooth that I may have to consider a temporary change of pronouns.

Lessons learned:
Remember to wet my face before adding lather between passes, or the alum block will teach you your error later.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, it’s always helpful to have some encouragement.
Now to hide the cost of my new hobby from my wife who still believes that this will save money from cartridge shaving, when we all know that my quest for the perfect DE shaving products has only just begun.

Post-Shave Update:

In the end I chose a Nacet blade on plate 2, which I felt was a fair compromise between heroic and wuss.

All went really well on the first and second pass, so much so that I went for a third.
I’m pleased to report that it was a very pleasant and successful launch into the world of DE shaving.
My face is so smooth that I may have to consider a temporary change of pronouns.

Lessons learned:
Remember to wet my face before adding lather between passes, or the alum block will teach you your error later.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, it’s always helpful to have some encouragement.
Now to hide the cost of my new hobby from my wife who still believes that this will save money from cartridge shaving, when we all know that my quest for the perfect DE shaving products has only just begun.

To be fair you've started with one of the best, if not the best, razor available.

If we were normal it would be all the razor anyone ever needed

Back
Top Bottom