First DE razor

What was the first razor you have purchased when you started DE shaving? :?
For me it was a 39c slant(I know it wasn't designed for a beginner but what did I know? :shock: ),when I received it and looked at the odd shape of its head I thought it was damaged so I rang up and complained!!!haha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another Merkur for me - a Futur. I love it now, but it was a bit daunting at first, as it seemed so heavy and clumsy after cartridge razors!

I've come to terms with it, and wouldn't swap it for anything. Apart from a Feather stainless, of course.

Regards

Ian

Futur, Merkur blade, set at 5.5 and shaving ATG (having not mapped the grain direction in my face).

Result: red neck, irritation, back to the Sensor(s), Mach 3's and Fusions. All this till I found TSR.

I won a aluminum-handled Tech on eBay, but before it arrived I bought and tried a Wilkinson Sword Classic. I think I used it twice and then the Tech turned up.

Ian

I plumped for the Merkur Futur. Was silly really and should have done a bit more research. It was too big for my delicately featured face and I found the 'adjustability' a distraction. Personally I don't think it's a beginners razor but I know many disagree.

Dermot O'Logical said:
Another Merkur for me - a Futur. I love it now, but it was a bit daunting at first, as it seemed so heavy and clumsy after cartridge razors!

I've come to terms with it, and wouldn't swap it for anything. Apart from a Feather stainless, of course.

Regards

Ian

Same here. I had a few false starts with the Futur. Cut myself, got rubbish shaves and went back to the mach3.

Cue mantic's videos, now it's practically the only razor that I'll shave with. With hindsight, probably not the best 1st choice of razor, but once mastered everything else feels like a toy in comparison.

in order
Feather Popular (a cheap introduction to see if I got on with DE shaving)
Edwin Jagger DE89
Merkur Futur
WS Classic (it was only a couple of quid on offer so I thought I'd try it to see what its like)
Merkur 15c

Along the way I have also ventured into using straight razors and have developed a serious fondness for the single bladed Bic sensitive. In fact had I tried them (Bic's) 1st I might never have found DE's or straights, as they meet the requirements that led me to find this place i.e. a razor that delivers a comfortable shave which isn't an expensive rip off.

Mine was a Parker 90R... Boy oh boy! Where to start on the wrongness of this one.

I was lucky, got one that was at least symmetrical. Blade gap is like the one between Tarby's front teeth. Still I learned quickly :lol:

In order to get the blade to be held tightly enough, there's an even chance that one (or more) of the TTO doors will leave at high velocity.

The handle is totally smooth - so when it's wet and soapy, it was like wrestling with an eel.

Lasted 2 weeks before I managed to find a flair-tipped Rocket which instantly was a much much better device altogether.

Back
Top Bottom