First de razor, your thoughts please?

Personally I like my old Gillette Ball End Tech. It's not new by any means, but thanks to the chap on here I bought it from it's a minter having been replated :)

Very smooth shave, with anything from an Astra SP to a Feather loaded in it, easy to clean, nice weight and the knurled handle makes it a delight to use with wet soapy hands :)

Gillette adjustables seem to be a Marmite razor, while most (including myself) do like them, some loathe them, me, I have 4 Slim Adjustables in my collection, 2 of which are in my regular rotation.

I'd say buy something cheap off eBay for the first few weeks, that 14.99 Feather is a fair starter razor. Once you've built some reputation on here take a look at the pass around threads, borrow a couple of razors from those and buy what suits you.

Ultimately though, beware of RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder), most folk on here have it to a greater or lesser degree, my personal 'dose' left me with over a dozen razors of various types and makes, happily 'only' a couple of hundred quids worth, and with a bit of cleaning I would get my money back, and maybe more, if I sold them on :)

For some reason the feather popular works best with a feather blade I've tried many other blades in the feather popular and it's just not the same

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

For some reason the feather popular works best with a feather blade I've tried many other blades in the feather popular and it's just not the same

I think this is due to the combo of very sharp blade with very mild razor ....

Sent from Mars

For some reason the feather popular works best with a feather blade I've tried many other blades in the feather popular and it's just not the same...

I often read that, but per my experiences it works just as well with other top tier blades. Then again, I never bought into the belief that Feather blades were the sharpest blades extant. I think some others are just as sharp and last longer as well. Of course, we all know this is entirely subjective.

Welcome to the distinctly odd world of obsessive shaving.
I was in the same position as you about a year and a half ago.
I only use a couple of razors regularly, a Wardonia (which isn't what you need, it involves using a hole punch to make the blades fit the razor, bakelite 1930s, it's good though) and a Muhle R89 (the same as the Edwin Jagger that everyone is talking about.)
It's around £25, brand new, looks pretty, decent build quality, designed to last.
However, this my friend, is only the start of your journey.
Learning to shave takes time, but then you'll need to try a few different blades (see Not the Stig' s amazing spreadsheet in the DE blade section) obviously you'll wonder why we all witter on about brushes and soaps and before you know it you'll be back on here asking whether the water in your area is ruining your chances of getting a decent lather from the fancy 1800s shaving soap that you bought (Mitchell's Soap.)
Good luck!

Welcome to the distinctly odd world of obsessive shaving.
I was in the same position as you about a year and a half ago.
I only use a couple of razors regularly, a Wardonia (which isn't what you need, it involves using a hole punch to make the blades fit the razor, bakelite 1930s, it's good though) and a Muhle R89 (the same as the Edwin Jagger that everyone is talking about.)
It's around £25, brand new, looks pretty, decent build quality, designed to last.
However, this my friend, is only the start of your journey.
Learning to shave takes time, but then you'll need to try a few different blades (see Not the Stig' s amazing spreadsheet in the DE blade section) obviously you'll wonder why we all witter on about brushes and soaps and before you know it you'll be back on here asking whether the water in your area is ruining your chances of getting a decent lather from the fancy 1800s shaving soap that you bought (Mitchell's Soap.)
Good luck!

I've only recently started DE shaving and was about to post a thread about lathering soaps in a hard water area. Spooky.:)

I've only recently started DE shaving and was about to post a thread about lathering soaps in a hard water area. Spooky.:)
Yes, it's a topic that comes up on a weekly basis.
There's lots of good advice already on here.
The thing that changed my lathering experience was firstly recognising that one of my brushes is so soft that it struggles with soaps that are hard.
Secondly, using my other brush, give it a good couple of shakes before loading up much more than you need. That will do me for a face lather.
If I'm bowl lathering, I use the same method except add around a tablespoon of water to the bowl (from the top of my soap.) Work the brush, lots of beating like an egg, push it into the bowl a bit as well.
But it took ages to get to this stage! My brush was previously too wet, which worked on the face but was very messy or the lack of water in the bowl which meant that my constant beating did naff all.
It's all part of the fun!
But lots of people with more knowledge than me have posted loads about this, my theory was "it's soap, it's water, how hard can it be?" Harder than I thought was the answer.

My first DE razor was an EJ DE89 solid performer and good value for money! I've also found Parker razors to be good also and cheap

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Esty prices are outrageous. I've had nothing but great buys and sells on ebay. You just have to know what you are doing what you want and how much something is worth what the market brings and of course condition is everything and then you have boxes and blade dispensers that always brings the price up.

AN adjustable is not a bad first razor, provided the following

Its mechanically sound
A Gillette
The user starts with it on the lowest setting and works up the ladder
Correct skills of shaving are used
Decent blades are used
Jesus, the lunatics are running the asylum.

I think it's suggested because they are more abundant than the fat boy or the Black Beauty so they're going to wind up being cheaper

Back
Top Bottom