First DE razor advice wanted.

I'm a week into my new shaving regime, and my shaves are fine, my skin beginning to improve, and I'm even beginning to enjoy the novelty of shaving! I've studied the guides, bought some Palmolive soap and am making some good lather up with my boar brush already, and this has taught me there is certainly as much improvement to be gained from technique as there is equipment. My Gillette Fusion Power gives a good shave when the blade is new, but after 3 or so shaves it loses the edge, causing me to increase pressure, and then the cycle continues......

So I want to get a DE razor fairly soon so that I can afford to change the blades when I need to, not when I can afford to :roll:

I appreciate that it's all down to personal preference, but I would value some thoughts and recommendations from more experienced members. I quite fancy a chrome unit, our water is so hard I think this would be easier to keep clean, and I also fancy a longer handle as I imagine it is more controllable. Any thoughts on a smooth or moulded handle?

An Edwin Jagger DE has been recommended which looks good, and is a keen price. I also like the look of the Merkur range, but the choice is bewildering.....

I'm going to get a mixed pack of blades to start with, probably THIS one.

I'm open to any ideas, and they don't need to adhere to any of my preferences above! I look forward to hearing your ideas ;)

I'm far from an expert but Edwin Jagger, Merkur and Mühle are all consistently good brands.

To help narrow it down I understand that open combs and a slant are not the ideal 1st razor and as you want to maintain some consistency through your 1st few weeks of DE shaving you probably want to avoid an adjustable (such as the progress, Futur or Vision) as the temptation to fiddle will play havoc with that.

Other than that I reckon you'll be fine with whatever you choose.

Oh and thats a great choice of blade sample pack :D

That first DE razor ... Its a toughie.

Your going to get at least 3-4 different recommendations.... But ALL are pretty good recommendations.
You just have to bite the bullet, pick one and roll with it.

My own personal favorite is the Merkur 34C - The Heavy Classic - more commonly called the HD.
Its not to expensive, its built well, and its a pretty middle of the road shaver - Ive got 30-40 DE's now and i still use my 34C regularly.

Cheers guys :D

From my reading of the guide on here, the 34C is a two piece razor and more aggressive than the three piece 33C - would the 34 suit me better then you think?

I'm sure I'm probably trying too hard here....... :roll:

:lol:

The ubiquitous Merkur 34C HD is always a good start for many; built like a tank and good for both the novice and experienced alike. If you prefer a longer handle (which you said you do) the same razor is available with just that in the form of a 38C, conveniently at a good price from the same site you liked to for the blades; Paul who owns that site and shop is a member here and one of the good guys.

The EJ razors are also quite good, I like the Chatsworth and own both a faux horn and a metal version. I know they are the same but they feel like different razors because one is much heavier. A good vintage Gillette Tech can also readily be had for not a lot of money, less then both the Merkur or EJ. If you are going to order the blades in the form of a sampler from above then I would have no qualms about recommending you go to his site and pick something that you like the look of.

But don't take my advice I am just a guy on the internet, for all you know I could be a 13 year old kid pretending I can shave ( I am not...honestly....) So have a think about you what.

Ask yourself this;

Do you want a new one or an old one?
Do you want to spend less than the EJ or Merkur prices?
What kind of look do you want?

It is important to try to form an opinion of what you would like to get out of this. You need to like it in the first place for it to be something you will enjoy using. I personally like the teutonic look of the Merkur, but I drive a German car and think it looks sexy, I am sure some find it too modern and utilitarian and prefer the look of an old classic car. We all do have a preference, right now no one, not even you knows what will suit you in terms of shaving, the truth is in the end you may have to buy/try/borrow to learn what you like and dislike.

I don't know your neck of the woods but if at all possible the best way to start is to go to a shop that has stock and pick some of them up. If that is not possible pick one that you like the look of and suits your pocket.

Futur you can't go wrong with (unless you take you eye of the ball) or a super speed I picked a really nice one up for £10 also have a look on <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk</a><!-- m --> or try the <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.irishbarber.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.irishbarber.com</a><!-- m --> each time I got something from them they put in some extra freebies a quick service as well with good advice

Very informative post, thanks Audiolab!

So it's possibly down to between a 34/38C and the EJ DE at this stage. I think I probably want a new one for my first try before I get more adventurous! Although there is a 1960's Gillette Tech on ebay for £12.

Audiolab said:
I personally like the teutonic look of the Merkur, but I drive a German car and think it looks sexy, I am sure some find it too modern and utilitarian and prefer the look of an old classic car.

Me too - hence the user name ;)

:lol: shan't be buying that one then! I'd rather spend £20 on a new razor than half that on a secondhand old one, at this stage in my experience anyway!

I was hoping the username might be a Wilkinson Sword reference but now I see where your allegiances are you scummy Audi driver..... oops wrong forum :lol:

This place must be bewildering for new guys, all this chatter about one razor/blade/soap being better than the other is mostly over incrementally small differences...mostly. Some of it is universally agreed to be crap (eg. Dorco 300 blades), however any of the experienced users would be able to pick a DE razor out of a lucky dip bucket of the current Merkur and EJ range and while it may not be their preference the shave would still be better and more enjoyable than the one they get with an M3 or Fusion.

So you can't really go wrong. Given what you have said it sounds like it is is a done deal. Go buy yourself a nice new Merkur, whichever one you like the look of will do just fine. Some guys have started out with the Futur or the Progress and other have picked the 1904 but for most it is the 34/38C, again they all shave well. In car terms the 34C/38C is like a 2.0 SLine A3/A4, they have the same engine but a different shell and only a slightly different feel when driving, but everything in the range has that same sort of feel to it. I have to admit the EJ range is slightly better finished in the looks dept but you sound like you need to start with a Merkur and a blade sampler.

I empathise with your dilemma, I farted about and quivered over the buy button so long that the missus bought mine when Christmas came round and I was still umming and awwing. The fact that you are here means it is just a matter of when not if, so just do it when your pocket allows and see how you get on. If you find you really hate it sell it on ebay and you will recover most of your outlay.

Let us know how you get on and if not done so already read through the tutorials in the help section, they are the highway code for the road that lies ahead and a few minutes familiarising yourself with the content can really help you get off to a good start.

Just get a Superspeed

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9070</a><!-- m -->

First, last and best razor you'll ever get.

See I told you not to listen to us, we can't agree on anything shave related :lol: Rev's suggestion is indeed valid but in my opinion flawed as usual, bless him he loves his classics... :lol:

Pick what you want, they are all good at this point in your shaving career.

You've had the lot now, including the kitchen sink you'll need to use the razor in ! Muhle 89c has a slightly longer handle than some and the Merkur is also available in long handle. I'm prejudiced because I like and use the Muhle. I'd leave any thoughts of an open comb meantime, but that's just me. Enjoy the choice, it just get better from here on in.
JohnnyO.

Back
Top Bottom