Finishing Hone

So I've been straight razor shaving for just over a week and my razors edge is still as keen as a bought it.
I strop around 50 laps before shaving and around 30 laps after.

Generally, how long is it until I need to touch up the razor's edge?

I received my shave-ready razor from Neil Miller on here. I'm wondering if it makes 'economical sense' to get a finishing hone or whether I can get away with routinely sending it off every 6 months at £17 a pop.

Coincidentally, a Chinese 12k grit waterstone goes for £17 while the Naniwa 12k goes for £65.

Penny for your thoughts ;)

Well you have a lot of diffrent options if it is just for maintaining a all ready sharp razor the chinese 12k and nawima you have all ready mentioned you could also get a barbers hone, thurigan or escher. And then you have diamond spray and cr-ox route both can be used on a hanging strop or paddle strop(not your day to day one) the cr-ox can even be applied to a block of balsa wood. all these methods work slightly diffrent more laps and such but will all do the job you require.

You have to decide for yourself what type of user you are. Are you just the end user looking to get the best shaves and money isn't a question? Are you a restorer and offer services? Are you an enthusiast who simply want to hone for yourself?. There are perhaps other types I neglect to mention but I'm the latter. When delving into straights early on I decided I wanted to hone and I'm glad I did. It allows you to take time and enjoy a quiet time what ever day suits you. It's quite a zen-like experience.

I have Norton combos 220/1000 and 4000/8000 along with Super Naniwa 5000 and 8000. As far as Finishers go I have Chinese Natural ( Guangxi ) 8x2x1 and a Nakayama Maruka 5x3x.5. By no means am an expert. I can tell you though that Naniwa is significantly fast cutter compared to the Norton requiring less strokes.

As far as how long it could be well into 6 months before it needs to be touched up. I've friends tell me 90 shaves and 6 months as well. I do recall posting it here somewhere. However as far as head shaving go it last about 7-8 shaves before it needs the hone.

Here are pros/cons to various hones:

Water Stones Advantages

2. Wide range of grits

3. Fine grits offer superior finishing & polishing

Disadvantages

1. Wear quickly

2. Must be flattened often

3. Can be damaged by tool edge

4. Requires a slurry to use

5. Water can cause rust

Oilstones Advantages

1. No slurry required

2. Relatively inexpensive

3. Does not cause rust

4. Available in a variety of sizes & grits

Disadvantages

1. Oil can cross contaminate wood

2. Coarse stones wear quickly

3. Requires flattening

Ceramic Stones Advantages

1. Do not require flattening as often as other stones

2. Available in very fine grits

3. Very wear resistant

Disadvantages

1. Very fragile

2. Will clog without lubricant

Diamond Stones Advantages

1. Cuts very fast

2. Very durable & wear resistant

3. Stays flat and used to flatten other stones

4. Can be used without lubricant

Disadvantages

1. Must adjust sharpening methods (light strokes)

2. No polishing grits

Thanks for your replies.

I guess I fit into the enthusiast 'touch-up' category, and would send any other significant work to someone more qualified.

As for now, I'll keep my eye out for any bargain finishing hones.

Where do you guys buy your barber shop hones from? Doesn't seem to be any on ebay.

SWATY's are known to be on ebay a lot in past. There's 2 I recall the 2 and 3-line SWATY:

There are good ones here and there and you have to be wary of the chips and such. I needed to lap mine. That was before I lapped it.

The Chinese 12k was my first hone, around last Christmas. It certainly does the job, I found it easier to get to grips with when using the slurry stone. The slurry made it a bit more user friendly and then once my arms were doing what I told them I could thin it off and finish on water.

A thuringian might be worth thinking about. Neil has them for £37.50 w a slurry stone.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/product/Thuringian_Water_Hone_THURHON" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/product/Thu ... ne_THURHON</a><!-- m -->
The seem to give far more feedback than the Chinese 12k and whilst I'm very much a newbie to this honing business mine is nicer to use than my chinese 12k or barber hone and gives a nice shaving edge.

I got my Ezy-Edge barber hone off the bay recently for a few quid, a nice little hone but I would go for a thuringian or Chinese 12k first.

For the £65 Naniwa could you not pick up a coticule? I hear they work as finishers and with a little practice and patience can be used as a full 'honing solution'

There's some great barber hone pr0n here

Proinsias,

How many strokes off the Guangxi do you employ? I do 100 and it's much much smoother than 8k Norton. I have yet to test its longevity however.

I don't tend to keep count. If I'm using it as a touch up maybe 10-20, if it's coming off my king 6k then probably around 50-100 depending on how things feel. The slurry stone does seem to speed things up and give a bit more feedback.

Back
Top Bottom