Filarmonica

What makes them so sought after? It can't be the scales. I noticed varonia has some NOS.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://varonia.com/shop/article_131/Navaja-de-afeitar-Filarmonica-Doble-Temple-5_8-,-n%C2%BA-12.html?shop_param=cid%3D8%26aid%3D131%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://varonia.com/shop/article_131/Nav ... d%3D131%26</a><!-- m -->

Search me. Hawkeye has a passion for them, so perhaps he'll enlighten us; I have a suspicion that it's got more to do with those wide blades than anything else. I really don't understand the fad for certain brands of razors (Wade & Butcher, Dubl Duck, Wostenholm "Pipes" etc), but it certainly drives the prices up.

From what reading i have done they are nothing special sure they give great shaves but there are equally as good if not better razors out there, i think it's partly down to folk who don't nose around and want a guaranteed good razor, plus there's an element of kudos for owning one.

I got very lucky with my duck, probably as it was sold over here not the us so not as many folk were watching it, they had a mint goldedge go on ebay for £205 ridiculous money if you ask me, you can buy a brand new vintage for that kind of money.

Henkels, genco, ern, kropp are good razors heck a solingen blade will give a good shave.

Puma/filarmonica/wade butcher/dubl duck/ i keep an eye on but only for bargains, like you i really can't understand why people pay such silly money for just a blade.

I own two, a Doble Temple 13 and a Barbus Duras 13. I'm not a fan of 7/8ths and larger, but 13/16ths is just fine. I have no idea why 1/16ths makes a difference, but it does for me. The Filli #14 razors all seem to measure 15/16ths and I've never tried a #14.

Fillarmonicas are full hollow razors. As I've become more skilled I find I prefer full hollow blades.

The older ones are easy to hone to a super fine edge, not true of the newer ones sold by Classic Shaving.

Excellent steel. Every bit as good as the finest blades from Solingen or Sheffield. They have a bit of weight, which I also prefer.

Smooth as silk when shaving, even with two or three days growth.

I don't find the scales on the Doble Temple objectionable. Nothing special, but not junk either. The scales on the Barbus Duras are cheesy.

Are they worth current prices? No, I personally don't think so, but I didn't pay current prices. Filarmonicas are top tier razors that shave every bit as well as any of my production razors from Puma, Boker, Wade & Butcher, etc., and at some point (?) there will be no more NOS available.

i got a 13 a few months ago and well let me pit it like this i aint no desperate dan but evan with 3 days growth i just pull that filly outa the box and me stubal has beat a hasty retreat.dam fine blade

Back
Top Bottom