FIDO quintessentially British

Fido
I look forward to your posts, your enthusiasm for your pastimes leaves me chuckling. Bells! I thought, someone collects bells? and do you know I actually looked at them and thought "That' quite nice". :shock: You are a perfect example of each to their own. I think how you are spending your retirement years is an example to all.
Fido, a true British eccentric.

Sir.I salute you.

Mind you, you're not the only one. What do you reckon?

Regards

Eccentric! You should meet my friend Derrick. A very rich man with a wonderful home full of valuable antiques. And yet I cannot get him beyond a baked potato for lunch. He only just ditched his 1954 Bendix washing machine. And kept a 1952 Morris minor for 426.000 miles.
I often mention my bells. But they are really the tip of my iceberg. I have 11 razors. No big deal. I have had two wet shaves now. Small beer. My radio and telephone collections have come and largely gone. Opera got my treatment. Read biographies of all the great composers, assembled a music library, collected over 120 opera DVDs and CDs and seen over 30 at the Royal Opera house.
And as for reading! Set out to study history, identified 60 + books to study. Spent 3 days with my wife at Hay on Wye and found over 30 in their bookshops. And then there was a return to competitive cricket - played two tests against India and Australia ( suppose I have to admit we were all Rotarians) And long distance running, and table tennis. Hi fi, audio visual gear and computer equipment all require research then the fun of actually using them. There is never enough time in retirement.
Its funny to be linked with eccentricity when you think you are perfectly normal. But I know I'm a bit odd. But I just love being me.
But I'm among kindred spirits here. Some people here have a wonderful sense of humour and a passion for their interest which is truly amazing.

I feel at home.

Fido said:
Eccentric! You should meet my friend Derrick. A very rich man with a wonderful home full of valuable antiques. And yet I cannot get him beyond a baked potato for lunch. He only just ditched his 1954 Bendix washing machine. And kept a 1952 Morris minor for 426.000 miles.
I often mention my bells. But they are really the tip of my iceberg. I have 11 razors. No big deal. I have had two wet shaves now. Small beer. My radio and telephone collections have come and largely gone. Opera got my treatment. Read biographies of all the great composers, assembled a music library, collected over 120 opera DVDs and CDs and seen over 30 at the Royal Opera house.
And as for reading! Set out to study history, identified 60 + books to study. Spent 3 days with my wife at Hay on Wye and found over 30 in their bookshops. And then there was a return to competitive cricket - played two tests against India and Australia ( suppose I have to admit we were all Rotarians) And long distance running, and table tennis. Hi fi, audio visual gear and computer equipment all require research then the fun of actually using them. There is never enough time in retirement.
Its funny to be linked with eccentricity when you think you are perfectly normal. But I know I'm a bit odd. But I just love being me.
But I'm among kindred spirits here. Some people here have a wonderful sense of humour and a passion for their interest which is truly amazing.

I feel at home.

Yeah, yeah but apart from that what have you done? ;)

Regards...er, from the sofa.

Rangers, much as I love Fido did you you start this thread just to praise him?

Remember: you can't make someone love you you can only stalk them and hope for the best.

(Fido: Rangers may have access to police surveillance techniques and equipment. Just be aware. Boab will get you a panic button.)

Now, can we have a why I love Rev-O thread?

In fact, I'll start the ball rolling: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1113</a><!-- l -->

Fido said:
I think other people should admit to some of their other interests. Anyone who takes an interest in shaving must have some other quirky hobbies. Surely.

= help me please. Someone. Let's talk about something else, anything. Please. Leave me alone. Don't hurt me. Hunny! Tony! Boab! Help.

Rev-O said:
Rangers, much as I love Fido did you you start this thread just to praise him?

Remember: you can't make someone love you you can only stalk them and hope for the best.

(Fido: Rangers may have access to police surveillance techniques and equipment. Just be aware. Boab will get you a panic button.)
Now, can we have a why I love Rev-O thread?
In fact, I'll start the ball rolling: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1113</a><!-- l -->
No! I didn't start it just to praise him. I do have a fondness for eccentrics mind you. I live in Glasgows West End and boy! do we have our share. There was a retired Doctor who used to go about in full Victorian Ghillie rig, Sherlock Holmes hat, beard, plus-fours, the whole 9 yards. His mode of transport was an adult sized trike, with the big storage thing on the back, exactly like a kids. Colleagues and passers-bye used to look at him mouth agape. :eek: Got talking to him, he was brilliant, packed more into his life than 10 men.
My wifes a bit eccentric, collects handbags and shoes :shock:
I'm not going for the classic British journalist tactic of 'Build them up, knock 'em down' with the good Fido
(He does look a bit creepy in his avatar though!)

rangers62 said:
There was a retired Doctor who used to go about in full Victorian Ghillie rig, Sherlock Holmes hat, beard, plus-fours, the whole 9 yards.

Living out in the sticks, we have plenty of those... most of them have no 'first names' either... so they're all called Farquhar, Tavish, etc. - there were 2 in the Post Office when I posted out the Indian gear actually :lol: The real eccentrics wear plus-twos though :?

I've just about had enough of this.
Once and for all there is no such thing as British Eccentricity - it is a myth put about by foreigners to compensate for their own lack of style and individuality. ;)

Naked Ape said:
Fido: not really an eccentric. Just a guy with integrity, who loves collecting experiences. Good for him.

You've obviously never met the man, as eccentric as they come... Only joking. I think this collecting thing is a real British trait, everyone seems to collect something, even if its just bills!

Everyone seems to have been busy today on the forum.

By the way, I am honoured to be labelled an eccentric.

After all, " England is the paradise of individuality, eccentricity, heresy, anomalies, hobbies, and humours."
George Santayana (1863-1952) Solioquies in England 'The British Character' 1922

In a book given to me by my daughter Zilla in 1995 - The Eccentric's Quotation Book.

I have often wondered why.

(Dead thread resurrection warning)

Cricket bats, telephones, bells and shaving brushes: an inventory of Englishness.

Hats off to Fido!

Fidophiles of world unite and take over!

Just as a kindly clue to a relative newcomer, I'm finding it very challenging to grasp what constitutes eccentricity within this forum and how it may be identified. As far as I can see Fido just kinda blends right in here ............... like he had a sort of (immaculate) natural camouflage.

JohnnyO. :shock:

I have been fortunate enough to have been able to travel extensively for many years, and one thing I can assure everyone on this thread of, is that the Brit abroad, and in particular an Englishman, is almost expected to be eccentric by the locals, and it doesn't matter where you go.

I'm not sure why this is so, perhaps it's because we have always been free thinkers, and tend to "do our own thing" as a nation, rather than follow the herd.

For my own part, I have always considered myself to be completely normal, the digiridoo playing at 4am always goes down well with the neihbours who hammer on the wall for hours and hours by way of applause.

And my spontaneous cat painting is always a big surprise to their owners.

Attachments

• CAT PAINTING 006.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom