Fidelity or Monogamy.

Hello.

I was wondering if anybody in this parish manages to avoid all the 'aquisition syndomes' and stay faithful to one razor, one type of blade, one soap/cream, one brush, one a/s?

It is unlikely that many will be able to honestly say "yes" to all those things, but I (and others, I'm sure) would be interested in how close you may be to complete faithfulness.

I appear to have reached a point where I am thinking of thinning out my collection of razors, soaps and creams, but I seem to have formed an emotional attachment so some of my gear, so finding it a struggle as to what to shed.

Has anybody managed to grow a collection of kit, and then thin it out with any success?

Ian

Ian,

Very very interesting topic. You see a lot of people on here who post on SOTD and they use pretty much the same kit every day. Could they bring themselves to sell off the other items?

I am not at that stage yet and feel that there is still a lot for me to try. If I had to get rid of everything else and keep a core kit it would be

Merkur Futur
Gillette Super Thin/Bleue Blades
My No Name Badger brush
Speick Cream/Stick or Valobra Stick
Thayers Superhazel
Old Spice Fresh Lime

I could live with having to use this gear for the rest of my life.

However I'm one of these people that feels that anything they haven't tried may just be the one! :roll:

Just one razor - Edwin Jagger DE89L

Just two brushes - Semogue 1305 & Neo Custom

Almost just one blade - Lots of Derbys but a few different stragglers I'm working through

Just one soap or cream?? Sod off! I must have going on for twenty, most of them creams. To me they are enjoyable for their variety and are what makes a shave interesting each day.

Slant, Cella (or Mama bears/Nannys), feathers, alum and a splash. Could do that forever.
Though, I wish feathers were a tad bit smoother. I know iridiums are an alternative but they're not sharp enough.

Pig Cat said:
Just one razor - Edwin Jagger DE89L
Just two brushes - Semogue 1305 & Neo Custom
Almost just one blade - Lots of Derbys but a few different stragglers I'm working through
Just one soap or cream?? Sod off! I must have going on for twenty, most of them creams. To me they are enjoyable for their variety and are what makes a shave interesting each day.

Similar for me too.

One razor, EJDE89L (apart from travel when I use a Merkur travel razor), 4 brushes (no desire for more), 3 blades for the next few years apart from samples to try/work through.

Like PC, I enjoy the variety of soap and cream more than any other part of the shave. I have half a dozen creams and a similar number of soaps.

Apart from the occasional aftershave, I just use witch hazel after most of my shaves. The main reason is no lasting scent to interfere with whatever fragrance I want to wear. Which is where I enjoy the most variety of all. I probably have 20 or so bottles plus a similar number of sample vials.

So, actually, looking at that, there's not much monogamy going on apart from the razor and witch hazel!

Not me I am a tart, the variety of equipment, blades, soaps, brushes, and A/S is what got me into DE shaving in the first place. It is the variety that keeps it interesting. I have stuck to a single razor for a while in the past but I found my technique became sloppy; that caution of using a piece of new kit or something I can't remember that well is what keep me irritation free.

I could go down to three or four razors, half a dozen soaps and the same in brushes but I would still be looking at other shaving kit with covetous eyes.

My kit is still growing at the moment.

However, finances and actual physical space will stop the growth very soon.

I just want another DE razor and another brush. I am 40 at the end of this year, so I want these last two acquisitions to be things that I will keep until I am in my box.

My AD's are "almost" down to a crawl. I've often come back to a soap I haven't used in a while and be surprised by it which is well...surprising.

I think about getting rid of a razor that has fallen out of favour or I haven't used in a while, so to make sure I use it again and then it ends up staying. :oops:

Oh! and who outbid me on the English Red Tip? :evil:

Well I've no desire to increase my stock of DE Razors at the moment, or even to try a SE razor. However, I enjoy tinkering and will pick up a few straights and have a pop at restoring and honing them maybe a couple more in the rotation will be good.

Soaps/creams? Well I'm not a premium product user! The likes of Palmolive and Boots own brand perform very well and I as far as can see the law of diminishing returns is inconsistent with my desire for value for money so that keeps me from buying the premium stuff.

Brushes well, my current 3 brushes work for me so why add to them albeit I could cope with 2.

Aftershave, Alum is the required AS then some alcohol based splash works well. This is an area for work as currently Mrs Jeltz does not appreciate any of the AS that I like such as OS whitewater, Blue Stratos and so on mostly I thing as she associates them with her Dad. So I've told her to find one that she'd like me to wear and I'll see what I think of it.

Must admit I'm a complete shaving slut.
Cheap and nasty that's me, any gear, any time, any way i like. I'm not adverse to a bit of Kinky shaving as well. Hell, i even let people watch.
Happy to use the upmarket gear and love getting down and dirty with the cheap stuff.

In all seriousness, I have 'Favorites' i use more than others but im in love with the whole idea of classic wetshaving.
There's so much stuff that's out there Ive been utterly oblivious of and still am.. i want to see what else is out there!

Back
Top Bottom